Importing and recording on top of drum tracks (not working) HELP PLEASE?!

dvdwa

Gear owned
tascam dp008
Hello all,

I hope someone can help me with this issue as I have not been able ti figure it out. This has really set me back creatively/project wise and could really use some direction. THANKS!

I HAVE WATCHED THE HOW TO IMPORT TUTORIALS on Youtube to no avail.

I have 8 drum tracks (Wav I believe 16 bit but can convert to whatever needed using Audacity) I wish to import into my Tascam DP008

I wish to load one of the drum tracks and use it as the starting to point record additional tracks with/over /ie. play along with by
adding first bass/then guitar/keys/then vocals etc..

Sounds basic but I am unable to get this to work for any number of reasons.

First, what bit rate do they need be if they are the initial starting point for a song/or does this NOT matter as others have said they must have the same rate if adding to an EXISTING song which makes sense.

Second, which folder do I need to copy the Wav files to in order for me to be able to access them and load them on the DP008
I have read it could be either the "System" folder or the "Wav" folder Any idea which one for sure?

Currently I cannot see any of the files in the DP008 that seemingly get copied over no matter how i try to locate/load them.

What is the correct process to incorporate them in the manner in which i describe above?

I would think I would need to create a song first then add the drum track to the song but I cant get it to work.
OR do I open the track and then simply record on top of...Either way I cannot get it to work. I can record all from direct input no problem but really needs the timing of the drum tracks to start,

is there a standard procedure that I need to follow to do this?

Is there a native bit rate that the DP008 uses when creating a new song file itself using the DP008?

Any precise advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
David

Welcome to the forum, David.

I don't own this type of portastudio, but detailed answers to your questions are explained clearly, step by step, in the Owner Manual (OM).

If you don't have access to your OM, it can be downloaded from the TASCAM website (I've assumed you have the DP-008EX, yes?):

...would need to create a song first then add the drum track to the song?...Is there a native bit rate that the DP008 uses when creating a new song?...
Yes and yes. Otherwise, you've nothing to import into, and importing requires matched sampling/bit rate parameters. Please refer to the OM, Section 2, "Quick Start/Creating a New Song" for song creation details/steps, if needed.

...drum tracks...I wish to import into my Tascam DP008...First, what bit rate do they need to be?...Second, which folder do I need to copy the Wav files to?...is there a standard procedure that I need to follow to do this?...
Please refer to the OM Section 12 "Exchanging Data With a Computer - Import/Export - Importing to Tracks" for details/steps.

Last edited:
Hi Thanks, these general references point in the right starting direction but there is no specific info I can find in terms of the questions I have asked above. I have gone over the manual to a certain extent as suggested before posting and I still have the same questions.

1. First, what bit rate do they need be if they are the initial starting point for a song/What is the default bitrate for a newly created from scratch blank song?

2. Second, which folder do I need to copy the Wav files to in order for me to be able to access them and load them into the new song?I have read it could be either the "System" folder or the "Wav" folder Any idea which one for sure?

How do I load the track into the existing song?

This was advice from producer of Youtube tutorial producer...." You have two ways to do this. You can record the tracks onto the machine and then add the other instruments that you want, or you can import the WAV files onto the machine and when you've recorded what you want, delete those tracks so you can record a different instrument there. "

His points seem obvious however portion #2 makes no sense to me about deleting and replacing

I am sure I am missing something but I cant find answers to 1 and 2 above for sure.

Thanks again if anyone has any further suggestions.

David

...gone over the manual to a certain extent...there is no specific info I can find in terms of the questions I have asked above.
Seriously? So do you expect others to read the whole manual for you? Everything you need to know about importing tracks is in OM Section 12, "Exchanging Data with a Computer".

*Default & Import Bit Rate; *Which Folder to use for importing; *How to Import (load) a track into an existing song....All found in the OM Section 12 segment "Importing to Tracks" as I noted previously. The types of SD Card system folders, and their use, are found at the beginning of OM Section 12.

"...import the WAV files onto the machine and when you've recorded what you want, delete those tracks so you can record a different instrument there..."
True only if you're importing to a track for timing/reference purposes and don't intend to use the imported track when you make your mix. Otherwise, if you want to use the imported track, don't erase it. For example:
(a) Import stereo drums from computer to tracks 1 & 2. Record (overdub) new material on tracks 3~8. Mixdown all 8 tracks.
or
(b) Import drum from computer to track1 (create a click track) . Record (overdub) stereo drums on tracks 2&3; overdub other parts on tracks 4~8. Erase track 1 and overdub another part on track 1. Mixdown all 8 tracks.

Last edited:
Ok, I will reread it again. Sorry, I absolutely was not asking others to do the leg work for me I just thought those might be obvious answers for some.

Thank you again for all your help. The explanation towards bottom was additionally very helpful.

I DO appreciate your taking the time to respond 2x.

Thank you!
David

Let us know how you made out with it David.

I had/am converting them into 16 bit in Audacity...The image below are only settings for 16 bit conversion from 32 so not sure if these do convert at 44.1 Khz as in manual but will try and find out on MS forum

Attachments

• 16 bit.PNG
    16 bit.PNG
    70.1 KB · Views: 3
should be stereo 16bit so heres hoping it loads though I am sure I did this last time before gave up

I own one of the small (2-input-channels)-Pocketstudios, the DP-008EX. But all these are similar. Yes, they require the CD standard WAVE format. Which is 16bit/44.1kHz. They have no other resolution settings. That's why it is not mentioned very well in the manual. (Tascam manuals are... :mad: other topic!)
If you prepare the files like that the import did always work. Does it also for you now?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.