Improvement for 32 DP and 24 DP

Correct. I just got a few of those; this is SanDisk’s latest 32gb card which appears to be their final “Extreme pro” DP-32-compatible card. I have used both an earlier version of this card (same speed, but it doesn’t say “V30” on the card) without any problems at all, as well as recording an entire album using an older 45mb/second SanDisk “Extreme” card in my DP-32 (For people getting pops and clicks when recording 24-bit files, Tascam made a firmware update which fixes that issue).

There is an eBay link which claims to be selling the same cards for $12 a pop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-32...5MB-s-Class-10-UHS-1-U3-Memory-8/253612588121

However, considering that the official Amazon link points to an item being sold by Amazon themselves (not a third party), I think paying 17% more is worth the peace of mind knowing that it’s very unlikely to be a low-quality fake knock-off clone. Camera stores also have this card for under $15:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._sdsdxxg_032g_gn4in_extremepro_sdhc_32gb.html

Thanks, Sam. I have four good cards (all are Lexar) - but I am going to go ahead and buy 2 more of this SanDisk type as additional backup.

I've been looking at SD to SSD solutions, and, I'm thinking I could get that to work. But it would take quite a bit of time away from cutting tracks.

Reactions: hilltopstudios
mjk, what kind of adapter hardware have you discovered? The only SD to SATA adapters I have found hook up an SD card to a computer's SATA port which doesn't seem to be very useful, in fact quite counterproductive.

I was successful converting my VS-880EX to run on SD cards when the HD crashed using a 44 pin IDE to SD converter.

Reactions: -mjk-
@hilltopstudios I found a cable that terminates in an SD card connector, designed to plug into the card slot and remain there just like a card. At the other end was a PCB and the appropriate connector for a hard drive/SSD. It looked promising.

> I found a cable that terminates in an SD card connector

That is a rather useful find. If you find it again please post a link. I originally considered a ATA to SATA to put a SSD in the VS-880 but the 880 is only used in the analog corner. With just 8 tracks it it fit perfectly for the mono synths and that built-in VS8F effects board still sounds great.

Wonder why is it you can't automatically Quote the last post of any thread?

@hilltopstudios that is a forum software "feature" and is annoying.

I'll look around for it. I live where all that stuff is made, but sometimes China politics makes it hard on us Taiwanese to buy stuff from China, because they refuse to list Taiwan as a shipping destination outside of China, and they also ignore our currency. So I'll end what doing what I usually do: show a photo of something and ask if they have one.

Actually, there are SD card extender cables, and also SD breakout boards for making your own cables. I've also seen one SD card cable male-to-USB female, which may allow a USB stick to be used.

@lastmonk thanks for your well worded reply. Clearly you are in some technical field. My computer experience goes back to the Z80 processor in 1981, so yeah I'm comfortable with computer interfaces too. It's not about a "computer interface" it's about the lack of a console interface. Actual audio engineers who have mixed on a console, will not mouse around on a computer screen. The following video makes a really good point about this where, a famous mix engineer released a plug-in that's designed to give his console workflow on a DAW. The young guy doing the review uses vintage consoles in connection with his DAW so he does actually get it and he's quite a good engineer.

So more correctly worded, it's the DAW interface we hate because you can't turn the knob with your fingers.

Nice vid., and I get that there are a lot of cats out there that find the DAW critical to their work flows for a lot of valid reasons. And there are some audio engineers who only know DAWs and have never been exposed to anything else. And for some super duper demanding scenario, the Tascam M 24, and Tascam DP 32/24 might fall short. But for the average local music scenes that I'm in they get the work done reliably and simply. No bullS!@# required. None of the nonsense associated with a general purpose computer to f@ck things up doing a live show.

Just nice bread-n-butter mixing and recording. I can't speak from a Audio Engineer's point of view, because I'm on the musician, composer, arranger side of things and have had some audio engineer, and recording engineer duties shoved down my throat. But from my POV,
Thanks be to Odin, Loki, Thor and the rest of them cats for the Tascam Porta Studios, Pocket studios, and M 24. They're bliss to work with:cool:

Reactions: -mjk-
They certainly are @lastmonk. I'm really enjoying mine.

Yes, but we've seen the last of the standalone multitrack recording solution. Even Tascam's 64 track digital MTR is for playback and backup purposes. It doesn't really work as a studio recorder. I'm afraid we are stuck with software recording and the systems are so completely different, that it has literally killed the freelance producer as a career. You cannot go into a studio, check out the console's channel strips and MTR remote, sit down and go to work, because there is no console and there is no MTR. Experience does not translate from one DAW to the next like it does with consoles. In the 80's a recording engineer was expected to be able to work with whatever console/recorder arrangement they had (I talked about this before). Show me someone that can do that today. While recording concepts are the same, DAWs implement these concepts as if each one was designed in a vacuum.

Wow, that is the definition of out in left field.

Lol

New threads

Members online