Initial Impressions of my new DM-3200 and A Question

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/lynx.htm

S.O.S. is arguably among the very best, most creditable sources for discovering the truth about most anything audio. Compared to its rivals - those who're paid shills for companies seeking to obtain positive reviews - S.O.S. reviewers strive for the unbiased facts. Perhaps it's a Brit thing. ;)

All that said, the 2005 S.O.S. review of the DM3200 (published about 10 months prior to the above referenced article) was - shall we say - not very complimentary. In fact, it was downright critical of the DM's 'cluttered screens,' 'workflow that had 'committee' written all over it, ' clunky shutdown routine,' etc, etc etc,.....' When I was researching the DM, and having read that essentially negative review, I was almost ready to seek other options. But - wait...........

The article ended with this note: "For some, it'll be a match made in heaven; for others - endless frustration. It's a try-before-your-buy situation...."

So I took S.O.S's advice and test-drove the desk before putting down the cash. Turns out, I was in the 'made-in-heaven' camp. But, over time, I've become aware of the opposite side - folks who'd bitten off more than they could chew and just couldn't deal with the DM any more.

Which goes to say that S.O.S generally gets it right. Then again, it's important to note the dates of their reviews; relevance in audio is often a fleeting thing. :)

CaptDan

"However, while it follows while playing, it does not follow while rewinding."

Unless the DM is generating and sending internal MTC to the DAW, and the latter is correctly set as slave to the DM's MTC, timecode will not rewind in a 'tape-like' fashion. Jumping back or forward on the timeline, however, should reflect an instantaneous change in the master MTC timeline (both that reflected on the DM meterbridge and in the DAW).

If neither conditions are true, then there's likely an excluded or incorrect setting - either on the DM or in [Nuendo/ProTools].

CaptDan

Thanks CaptDan. I'm going to check to see my settings in both Nuendo and the DM and fiddle around and let you know. With the Mackie UC, I didn't have to change anything for it to follow tape style but I know the porting of the protocols are not always perfect.

G'day JHT - welcome to the world of disparate opinions :) Nice to hear some new thoughts on the DM console.

re powereing up/down - I am not keen on powering any unit up/down via an external board and always use the DM's power switch. Reason being I did a test with my powered speakers doing the same and found that there was a thump when using this methodology but not when using the spkr's power switch. Thus, I suspect that protection circuitry is (sometimes) wired into the unit's power switch. The addage of better safe than sorry is prudent. I reach around the back of the DM to power it - perhaps you can get a custom hand-hole made in your desk to allow this?

Not so greasy - my test was on the speakers stand-alone, not the DM.
i.e.
1/ power up speakers via spkr power button = no issue
2/ power up speakers via power board = thump

Don't do that. :)

Seriously - I get what you're saying. It was a concern for me too. However, I have a passive monitoring system which I don't power up 'till both the DM and PC are online. My reasoning is simple: if there's a thump and it's not driven audibly or electronically, then it simply - isn't. And if it isn't, then there's no potential damage to the monitoring system, nor likely to the mixer.

I've done this hundreds of times; my system remains viable and unaffected. But, as always.......................

YMMV.

CaptDan

We have Mackie to thank for the (H)uman (U)ser (I)nterface. But sometimes with 3rd party hardware - (h)umans have to (o)utsmart the (i)nterface . :oops:;)

CaptDan

LOL. So true. I will post an update on my progress on the digital issues with the DM and the MOTU separately. However, the Cliff Notes version is that we will be getting the Tascam Firewire card, though budgeted for next month.

G'day JHT - welcome to the world of disparate opinions :) Nice to hear some new thoughts on the DM console.

Thank you Drumstruck for the welcome. One of the things I like about this forum so far is that many people hear want to help each other out for each user to get the best possible experience with this board specifically and with their workflow generally. Cheers.

New threads

Members online