Inspecting a used DP-008EX

bangingthedrum

Gear owned
DP-008EX
Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer to the world of recording. After researching portastudios to better monitor my progress on conga drums, I found an excellent deal on a used DP-008EX, and decided to pull the trigger as of this morning.

The retailer allows for a return window in case there are issues with the device, but I primarily need to know what and how to test once the device arrives. I intend on using the built-in microphones for most of my work, so it's important that they've not been damaged. Should I run through specific sound tests on them, or will simple vocals expose any possible distortion? What other things should I immediately be checking on a used model?

I appreciate any advice and insights.

Howdy @bangingthedrum - and welcome to the show. "We have some wonderful gifts for you, just for participating"...
Sorry. I watched a lot of TV as a kid.

ANYway. As a new-to-recording person, I'd bet a bag of pucks you haven't got stuff like oscilloscopes and tone generators to work with.
I'd agree that the testing the built-in mic's is a VERY good place to start...they're easily damaged...BUT - when working properly - sound freekin' great, all things considered!

So a good place to start would be there - do the necessary routing/recording setup (it's all in the manual, ytube, or searchable here), and then record with them and evaluate the fidelity/quality of the results. Singing would be fine - but frankly, I'd suggest recording your drumming, since you're surely intimately familiar with what it sounds like to you in real life - and you can compare the recordings to see if you're satisfied.
Be sure to use good headphones or monitors, not the $3 earbuds that came with your smartphone!!!

EDIT: the rocket-surgeon doods here have done "sticky" threads for all of us to benefit from...I'd suggest looking through them. You could start here, or here...they're under a different category, but being a newby, you would likely find plenty of valuable info there.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online