ITB , why would you want to do it

BLIZZY1BLIZZY

Gear owned
DM3200 DM24
friend of mine is getting rid of his SONY DMX R-100 mixer, nice board, but he says, he thinks it's time ( to sell) and just record ( In The Box)!!!!!

I mean using a mouse all the time, is just so drab. Nothing to touch that coincides with you moving sound.

Why would one want to do this. Just asking, I'm curious

In the box doesn't have to mean you do everything by mouse. There are plenty of fader based controllers out there that give you tactile feel of your mix (in fact, the DM is such a controller). My reason for going out of the box is using external effects, including the DM ones.

For me, I love the fact that all mix settings of my DAW and all effects plug-ins and their settings are saved with each project. Revisiting a song is as simple as reloading its project and there it is, with all settings and plug-ins just as I left them, however long ago it was.

And to follow up on Arjan's comment, the DM also can save its settings and I only need to manually save the physical settings of my outboard gear, either via a logbook, a photo, or what have you. I don't like doing that manual form of saving, but I do get the benefit of the outboard gear and the benefit of convenience with everything else "in the box". Perhaps a similar hybrid system approach that many us use could work for you, too, so as to get the best of both worlds.

I've always been an OTB user. I have three IF/AN cards and two of them are outed to my outboard gear. The difference with my setup is that my outboard gear is all MIDI and mostly modulation effects. The recall method I use is the classic SYSEX! I record the state of the units as I need them to be for the mix and at the beginning of every song the units go to that setting - no custom presets necessary. I also have a classic Alesis DataDisk unit that also saves sysex data.

I only have an ITB routing setup for people who come over and want a quick mixdown of the session at that time.

Arjan P -- I use my DM as you stated

I was just trying to figure out WHY would he want to do that (my friend that is) myself.
I have outboard gear as well, he does too, a MANLEY VOXBOX and another piece I can't call it now
also synths and stuff, but ter rah

I'm not giving up my board, no, NOOOO WAY JOSE

New threads

Members online

No members online now.