Jog/play & Jog/data freezing

Bugatti

Gear owned
Tascam sd24dp
Hi
Sometimes when I use the jog/play and jog/data functions the unit freezes.

When that happens it emits a very high pitched whistle which gradually increases in intensity and, as it’s frozen, I’m therefore unable to get it to come out of the jog/play screen.

On these occasions, I have no option but to switch off the machine off at the wall socket. I wait a few seconds before switching the socket back on, then I can turn on the machine in the usual way and resume recording.

Can anyone suggest why this happens and how I could fix it?

Thanks

Assuming you're not referring to the issue discussed in this other thread, a freeze may happen when there's a too rapid jog wheel rotation: either back and forth, or in one direction.

Possible cause: the CPU can't keep up because there's a large number of tracks and track snippets.

Solution: don't rapidly rotate the jog wheel.

Last edited:
Agree with Mark, so delete-unused would be worth trying.
I guess that jogging puts more of a strain on the file access mechanism, so anything to lighten the load should reduce the chances of freezing up.
One thing to bear in mind is that delete-unused only gets rid of unused fragments; there could still be lots of used fragments. A computer will show you, but either way, you can get rid of these by consolidating your tracks using the export/import trick. If you don't create a new song for this, be careful if you leave the old fragmented track(s) lying around as the machine may still try and access it. Muting may work, but haven't confirmed this. I can't imagine just turning down its fader will stop it processing the track.

Thanks Mark and Phil for your helpful comments. I can now rest assured I’m the knowledge that my machine doesn’t require expensive repairs after all!

New threads

Members online