Layer Status buttons

junomat

From
Baltimore
Website
mobtownstudios.com
Gear owned
Tascam DM4800 + Firewire
Does anyone have any problems with their layer buttons?

My 25-48 button you have to slam to get engaged.

Wondering if anyone else had this issue and also has a fix?

Thanks!

I had similar problem with my 2nd layer button. I carefully squirted some 'DeOxit' (thanks Jim!) around the edges, dabbed off the excess with a clean rag, worked the button about 10 times. Done. Not a problem since, and it's been a few months.

Worth a shot.

CaptDan

Awesome!
Ordering this on amazon right now... What does it do?! What else do you use it for?

Is there anything I need to look out for or not do? IE. Can I fry the board?

DeOxit's an excellent electrical contact cleaner; leaves no residue while killing the 'glern' (dirt, etc). Renews electrical continuity.

Don't use too much on the DM's button. Using the applicator straw, just spritz a small amount on left/right side of the button where it meets the framework. It'll seep down onto the detent board. You'll see a little fogging around the button's light. That'll clear up in about a half hour.

To be safe, apply the spray with the mixer OFF. That way there's no chance of creating a short. Work the button several times then fire up the console. Push through various random layers to ensure everything's okay. You may not notice a difference immediately, but you should in due time.

Also great for cleaning guitar pots, switches, and input jacks - or anything of similar function.

CaptDan

I don't have problem with layer buttons, but my SHIFT key is a pain in the a**. Have to slam it hard multiple times to make it work and it's not fun when trying to use it as a toggle for fine/coarse EQ freq switch. Maybe should give it a de-oxidizer/contact cleaner treatment too.

I don't know the chemical composition. From what I've experienced the spray leaves no residue.

'Gravity Jim' could probably provide more details; it was at his suggestion I started using it. Over the past several years, I've heard good reports from other engineers and electronics folk about DeOxit, but have only recently jumped aboard the bus. :)

I don't have problem with layer buttons, but my SHIFT key is a pain in the a**. Have to slam it hard multiple times to make it work and it's not fun when trying to use it as a toggle for fine/coarse EQ freq switch. Maybe should give it a de-oxidizer/contact cleaner treatment too.

Could likely solve your problem, Jarno. Then again, I'm only a satisfied user and can't make any guarantees (if I had a lawyer I'm sure he'd tell me to say that. :) )

CaptDan

Jarno, there was a thread about this quite recently, and the European equivalent is called 'Tuner 600'. Got myself a can - not used yet.

Thanks, Arjan. I'll try this 'Tuner 600' brand next time I'll go shopping for contact cleaner. Yes, looks like it's also available here in Soviet Finlandia.

If you're not already using your footswitch input, the SHIFT key is one of the functions that can be mapped to a foot pedal. A cheap piano sustain pedal would do the trick, and free up one of your hands in the process!

If you're not already using your footswitch input, the SHIFT key is one of the functions that can be mapped to a foot pedal. A cheap piano sustain pedal would do the trick, and free up one of your hands in the process!

It's worth getting a 'better than cheap" footswitch with a polarity selector switch. I have one that is the wrong polarity - it did strange and undesirable things to my DM when connected.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.