Line in from Mic pre to DM3200

some clients sit on the sofa behind me and give instruction

Excuse my off-topic swerve, but that reminded me of a funny story:

There was a famous American TV commercial director - one of the highest paid in the industry. He was so powerful that - unlike most other directors - he'd insist that nobody from the ad agency could be on his set while he was working. That was unprecedented, because ad agencies are very 'hands-on.' They like to send an entire squad to a production, just to 'keep tabs on things.' (They have an expense account, after all. :))

So one day he's rehearsing a scene, when suddenly an ad agency 'A.E.' (account executive) pipes in with his opinion. So 'Rick' picks up his BULLHORN, and shouts:

"LISTEN UP!! I NEED JUST ONE MONKEY FROM THE AGENCY!! NOW YOU F****S DECIDE AMONG YOU WHO THAT MONKEY'S GONNA BE. THEN SEND HIM BACK.....GAGGED AND BOUND. OTHERWISE, ALL YOU $#21- GET THE *&^%$%#$# OFF MY SET!!!" :eek:

Now - I'm not recommending that you do the same thing with your studio clients. Just hoping to send a laugh your way. ;)

CaptDan
Some of clients like yelling too!!
I have find something on the net:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/74005ae140a23cab/index.html

Is it useful in studio?

Boundary mics are especially useful for teleconferencing, legal depositions, 'covert sound capturing,' and recording discussion groups sitting at tables, etc. However, that AudioTechnica model is a bit expensive if you're thinking of using it for a talk back microphone.

You can find a used Radio Shack dynamic mic with an on/off switch for around $20 US. Or - an SM57/58 would be even better because - in a pinch - it could be used in the studio too.

CaptDan

Boundary mics are especially useful for teleconferencing, legal depositions, 'covert sound capturing,' and recording discussion groups sitting at tables, etc. However, that AudioTechnica model is a bit expensive if you're thinking of using it for a talk back microphone.

You can find a used Radio Shack dynamic mic with an on/off switch for around $20 US. Or - an SM57/58 would be even better because - in a pinch - it could be used in the studio too.

CaptDan

Indeed CaptDan.

So I'm the only one who has no issue with the built=in mic? Boo me.

No - there are two of us - ME included. :)

As a matter of fact, Tascam gave us something truly unique with that li'll talkback mic. It's capable of intense sonic effect. You know as well as I, that producers spend 100s of hours using plugins, re-amping, 800hz hi-pass filters, and all manner of audio mangling to even come CLOSE to the breadth and sparkle that mic can produce.

We should sponsor a DM Forum CD - with the 'rule' being that every vocal track and lead instrument be recorded through the DM talk back. I can see it now:

"Tascam Group CD Reaches 900,000 Downloads On iTunes!!"

:p:D:rolleyes:

CaptDan

Absolutely hilarious Dan.

I seriously use this mic all the time. To each their own.

Hey, I try. With all the crap going on in the world, a little fun 'n games keeps us all sane, eh? :)

Seriously, I haven't really had a need for the talkback - unless I'm talking to myself - which I can do without having to amplify my voice. :p However, it's nice to have if I'm ever tracking somebody in my iso room - a situation that could arise at any time.

CaptDan

I've been considering a modification to the board to install a mic socket in place of the internal talkback mic, and then place a gooseneck mic in it - without sacrificing any board input channel. However, when I quite recently had my board open for display replacement and 2Seemy installation, I totally forgot about it! :oops::mad:

Wouldn't it be great to use a 'vintage mic' for a talkback? Here's some inspiration:

For the 50s 'Elvis-TV' look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shure-55-SW-Microphone-Elvis-Style-Mic-/221524867537

How 'bout a little 1940s Police Action?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHU...ONICA-MIC-SHELL-ONLY-NO-ELEMENT-/171420703045

But for the REALLY COOL (expensive/vintage) vibe, you can't go wrong with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-44-Vint...=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item23340531e7

I LOVE vintage mics! :)

CaptDan

New threads

Members online