captdan

Soundaholic
From
Northern California
Website
www.gliskrecords.com
Gear owned
DM3200
After a long battle finishing a track, mixing/tweaking - rinse & repeat - I glanced down at my 3200 and gazed at that 5 x 5" block of unpopulated real estate. Right above the Machine Control panel is an austere, blank square with only the console name unceremoniously printed at the bottom.

I got to wondering - 'What was Tascam thinking? Were they, perhaps, leaving room for a future accessory? Maybe some operational upgrade? Or - maybe a second monitor screen - for a live feed from the studio's security cameras. Then again, maybe they had nothing particular in mind and the little grey square was just intended to be a 'negative space' for an understated touch.

We've engaged in several discussions about wish lists, etc, but to my recollection, the Little Grey Square hasn't been mentioned.

Begs the question: 'What would YOU put there?" :?:

CaptDan

Last edited:
When I took delivery of my used 3200, it had one of those white Apple stickers that come with their devices there.
Apparently the previous owner thought the open space needed to be filled. I removed the sticker. ;-)

I like the Post It note idea. An Apple sticker is vaguely clever, but I wouldn't give it the Pulitzer. :)

I've tried using my TrackBall up there, but the reach isn't comfortable after awhile. But I do place the T-Ball on that space when I open the right hinged console panel to access internal switches. Much safer than having that "cyclops-mouse" sitting on a Layer Status button. :eek:

CaptDan

Yeah, Dan, having a blank P.I.N. stuck there makes it a super handy place to jot down time code numbers, patch names, phone messages, etc. It's like a little 5x5 desktop.

Reactions: captdan
I think it's for this, but it sill leaves a 2.5" x 5" grey area.
Maybe perfect for a smart phone?

Blank area.png

I have a Brother P-Touch label maker - indispensable tool in my studio. I put labels of my default Project sessions there for the engineers who come in here and work based on the software they use. The only other thing I have on my board is a toy model of the legendary SR-71 Blackbird! YEAH!

Well, perhaps I should've consulted a DM4800 panel before I posted; as they used to say in the old West, "that's a raht snazzy buncha buttons ye got there, Boss!" :)

And maybe that's the answer: Tascam created one design template for the button panel and simply left it unpopulated for the 4800's smaller sibling. :!:

And for those who don't know what Jamsire's referring to, behold:

http://tinyurl.com/qyjhhas

:)

CaptDan

How bout using the square as a 'Reminder Station?' For those confusing sessions when you just can't remember what instrument you're tracking. :mad:

PS: Jamsire will appreciate this. :)

CaptDan

Attachments

• DMgtr.jpg
    DMgtr.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 10
"that's a raht snazzy buncha buttons ye got there, Boss!" :)
CaptDan

Too funny!
It is a nice bunch of buttons that I very seldom press.
Looks like the 3200 has a similar array, to the left side.
Do you folks use the encoder mode?
I do for rare occasions.

Tip of the day?

I use the encoders for 'cross layer mixing.' If I'm in a situation where a channel on - say - Layer#1 needs to be tweaked against another element on Layer #2, I'll assign the Layer #2 fader to an encoder so I can adjust both channels simultaneously without having to switch layers.

Tip? I dunno. Maybe. :)

Speaking of tips, here's an Oldie Goldie - the Flip Switch.

Oldtimers know what I mean, but some of you newer DM-ists (sounds like a tooth doctor :) ) should make note of that 'Flip' button. If you're trying to do something fancy in an Automated Mix, like rapid-panning a channel left/right/center, etc - don't try to accomplish that with a pod or encoder. Instead, place the cursor over the 'Pan' adjustment on the Setup page of the Module screen where the pan will happen, then hit the FLIP switch. Using the fader for the affected channel, push/pull it up and down. The leverage allows really drastic, fluid/ rapid pans. But..............

Don't forget to hit FLIP again. Or the next move you write to automation won't be what you wanted. :)

CaptDan

Last edited:
Reactions: waterstrum
I use the encoders for 'cross layer mixing.' If I'm in a situation where a channel on - say - Layer#1 needs to be tweaked against another element on Layer #2, I'll assign the Layer #2 fader to an encoder so I can adjust both channels simultaneously without having to switch layers.
CaptDan

Thanks for that.
Great idea!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.