Mac Pro digital I/O for extra channels?

Marvel

Veteran
From
The Netherlands
Gear owned
Currently in between gear
So here's a silly idea. My Mac Pro has two channels digital I/O. What if I connect these to the DM for two extra channels in and out besides the FW? :)
I know I can create an 'aggregated device' in the Audio/Midi Configuration, combining the 32 FW channels with the 2 digital channels, creating a device with 34x34, which I can name anything I like. Logic sees this as a valid audio device to route to and from.

This would give me the ability to route the stereo out of Logic to the two digital channels, so they don't take up any of the FW-channels.

However! :)
The Mac Pro has TOSLINK connections, where the DM has S/PDIF and AES, so my question is, are there any converters/cables/adapters that make it possible to connect the ones to the others?

And if so, any interesting applications any of you could come up with for this setup?

Another consideration: which one would drive the clock? IF-FW probably, like in the setup without DIO?

Thanks guys!
Marcel

Last edited:
Toslink is just a physical form of the connector - the protocol is still S/PDIF, though as fiber optic transmission. So the signal is the same for optical and coaxial S/PDIF.

Anyway, in the past I used this little Fostex converter box (Fostex COP-1) that can be used 2 ways: light signal in, electrical out or vice versa. There are possible other more current boxes like that available now.

Yeah, that looks exactly right.

Reactions: Marvel

New threads

Members online

No members online now.