Machine Control F1-F12 button assignments for Cubase

Thanks Jarno. I will try this myself. Thankfully I have a huge #%$#$ nose.

After 1/2 hours of experimenting, I got SHIFT-F-buttons working:
View attachment 366
(it would had taken 10 minutes, but forgot that Steinberg is using non-standard MIDI note names ... and using Cubase's LEARN function wasn't easy: right hand on mouse, left hand on DM's SHIFT and poking F-buttons with nose)

Absolutely AWESOME!!

So to further clarify. I am to add and configure a generic remote device in cubase using USB port 5 on my DM3200 and follow your screen shot with the only difference being the functionality mapping (under the Value/Action header)? And to further clarify.. this mapping will map functionality to F1 thru F12 in combination with the SHIFT key only? I am assuming for CONTROL +F keys will be done through my Makie Device 2 which already works.. but that is using USB port 5 as well.

Last edited:
Yes, yes and yes.
but that is using USB port 5 as well.
Doesn't matter. Generic remote and Mackie control co-exists nicely on the same port. Just leave MIDI Out on Generic remote blank in order to avoid conflicts.

Another note: Those F-keys send MIDI 'Note On Velocity 127' when pushed and 'Note Off' ie 'Note On Velocity 0' when released. You must pay attention to this when defining Actions. (See Flag 'T' in my example for metronomeOn action. Without it metronome goes on when pressing key and off when released)

And for all lazy bastards, here's XML (unzip and use 'Import' button on Generic Remote dialog):

Attachments

• DM-shiftF.zip
    451 bytes · Views: 37
Last edited:
Got it. Thanks Jarno. Fantastic information!

I hope this isn't too far OT but it seems to be along the lines of something I've been looking for an answer for but couldn't find. If too OT, I'll start a new topic.

I have my 4800 setup to control Cubase 7.5 using ports 7, 6, 5. Generally - everything works well EXCEPT the banking. When I use the banking buttons (F1, F2) - it doesn't bank by 8 channels - just banks 1 channel at a time.

Subsequently - when using F5, F6 (which according to the DM4800 screen should be channel banking) - all that seems to happen are all of the rotary encoders are lit up fully and doesn't seem to control anything.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ah yes.. you need to make a change in Cubase to do this. I forget what I will look later for specifics but it has to do with changing the Controller device from the Cubase setting to something like Classic or Legacy. Once you do that it will behave as it did prior to 7.5

In Cubase, if you click on the "Devices" menu and then click on "Mackie Control" you see a little box with a drop down in it set to "Cubase". If you set it to "Compatibility" the buttons go back to working as before.

You need to do this for Mackie 1 and Mackie 2 (and Mackie 3 if you are a DM4800 user).

BINGO!! Thank you so much for the helpful information. Worked like a champ.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.