Midiizer or Compatible

Mark9

Gear owned
Tascam TSR8, Teac 3440
Hi gang, as a *really* new member I hope I'm not being presumptuous asking for assistance so soon but I really need help.
(All the doctors say so!) but seriously folks, I've been wanting a Midiizer, or something compatible, for ages. I want to record my piano to my TSR8 and slave my virtual MIDI tracks to create, ultimately, a digital master. Mastering deck might be my Zoom H5, or DA88.
Can anyone point me to a synchronizer, even a non Tascam unit, that would allow me slave analog and virtual tracks with frame accurate consistency? Ideally, my budget is less than $500, but I'm willing o exceed that. Very wiĺling!

Anyway, I realise I'm not being as articulate as I should be, blame the 3 beer, but any help would be ultra appreciated. I'm in Toronto if that helps. (Or even matters)
Thanks guys,
Mark

Any MIDI synchronizer with SMPTE in/out will work for you. In the early days I used an XRI systems XR300, but there are some MOTU MIDI units that read SMPTE (micro express). In actual fact a Midiizer is actually much more than you need.

Thanks for the info. I've never needed to slave multi machines at home, most of the tracks were/are sequenced and stayed digital throughout the recording process. But, since I bought a new (my first brand new) Yamaha piano, I definitely want to use it instead of my Motif sampled pianos. I'll research those units and post a (less 'wordy') update.
Again, Thanks! Your advice is invaluable.
Mark

You can slave Reaper to SMPTE from anything, so that is one way to do it.

I have also made a DIY project that is mostly working if you want to have frame accurate slaves to external MIDI/SMPTE code coming from your DAW, or wherever. I can send you the link to the github if you like.

Hello and thanks for the reply. I'd appreciate that link as long as it doesn't put you out. No hurry, at your convenience. To give a little more background, I want to explain my situation and ultimate goal. I learned MIDI using the Roland MPS/MPU401 running on a IBMXT clone. I followed the technology via Contemporary Keyboard, then just Keyboard Magazine for years. Eventually Cakewalk (DOS) seemed to satisfy my overall needs so I kept with CW, eventually getting the GUI which I used for years. I had, SBXes, MIDI Thurs, and various peripheral until I realised, a 'super-upgrade' was necessary. After a complete re-vamp it was clear: MIDI sequencer, which could do anything combined with integrated audio, could not do the one thing I really needed without investing in a Cray II. I needed Acoustic Piano, My Fender Start My Hammond M3/ LEZ 145 etc. Sure, it was doable digitally, but I'd just spent big bucks on upgrades and had two perfectly fine RtoR which were almost new and had great sound. I've never minded a little analog hiss/noise on certain parts as long as sampled percussion, cymbals and hi-hats, violins and various orchestral voices remained clean. I only make music for one reason: After the first 5 or seven years, I cannot stop. At one point my day job required so many hours, I even sold off some gear thinking I'd only play Hammond and Piano. After several months, I replaced everything(and more) and realised: I'm a 'lifer.' Now, I'd like bi-lateral t/c: at times MIDI being the master with the Multi-track being the slave, at other times, the reverse. Sorry for the length of this reply. Mark

Thanks. Although I have some basic electronic background (more film and video than audio) this is way beyond anything of which I could make proper use. Guys like you always impress me.
I can't fathom how you can look/study a complex device and come up with a solution to fill a need not available in the marketplace. (or an item which has been discontinued) On the positive front, JL Cooper has a lot of sync solutions which I'm looking into. I'll need to compromise my vision, but I need to get back to making music. I love getting sidetracked with tech stuff, but they're only means to and end.
Thanks again!
Mark

New threads

Members online

No members online now.