Mixing down from a 414

Tombstone

Gear owned
Tascam portastudio 414
Hey folks,

Im trying to find a tape deck to mix down to from my 414 portastudio.

A family member has his Fisher MC-715 they're willing to send me and I'm wondering if it will get the job done.

Any advice is appreciated!

IMG_5452.JPG

Late 80's I used a fisher deck just like that. I wouldn't use one today. I'm using a 4 track to mix down to from a 238. Slamming it pretty good for grit. I use 2 for left 2 for right. From there I transfer to dp24sd them computer or direct to computer thru a US428.

Fishers heads aren't going to be near as good as a 4 tracks heads in quality plus if you use a 4 tracker with higher ips that's a big plus. Fisher will only use half the width of an already very narrow media, a 4 track will use full width which should give you a much better sound.

Last edited:
Comsumer BPC is stuff to be avoided. Most the time people that do not have a clue use that and think they have done a good job but really they have degraded the material they worked hard to make.
Decks that are suitable for mastering are usually open reel 1/2 track decks. In the absence of that I would use a well maintained Tascam 122 Mk II with a Metal tape. That is the closest thing you will get to a 1/2 track deck in cassette.

Wow! Yeah those are sweet but expensive might as well get a rtr to mix down to. Most 4 trackers use better quality heads than consumer home stereo decks like the fisher and can be had for $50.00.

I figure we're looking at a tight budget here. I'd love to get my hands on a 122mkii for $50.00 in good working condition. :)

I rarely see 122 Mk II units even in broken condition go for $5o and if so I would be buying and fixing them or using parts from them. I am looking for capstan motors to fix a 122 Mk III that some numbskull on You tube shows what he does to these machines in putting in a dual cassette 50 cent motor. You can not even get the right speed with this guys work but when any real technician looks at this he will have to shake his head and some do not believe it- This is not smart but idiotic.
The restored used 122 Mk II units I sell are $450 on up.

They're not plentiful but they're out there. I've gotten broken decks too at that low price but also great decks in good condition. I see people asking a lot of $ sometimes they get it sometimes they don't. I'd spend $450 for a completely gone thru machine if it's what I really wanted.

What are you grabbing for refurbed 238's?

238 could use 2 to 3 hours labor. $80/Hr is my shop rate.

Reactions: Caveman
Mine works good but I'm probably going to grab a backup with motor issue and send it to you :) I don't use the noise reduction, clean ISO lines buried grounds help and I can shave the little bit of hiss off later.

I'm also keeping my eyes open for cheap 122's for you.

Four trackers I like yamahas though Tascam seems to have a cleaner sound especially on the top end. Cassettes are a lot of fun.

I checked out your services, def looking forward to doing business with you, hard to find good techs. :)

Most if not all 4 track cassette decks used real cheap heads. The only advantage to some 4 track units is that they run at double speed which is 3.75 IPS and then use ONLY Chrome tapes allows you to get better quality- it is the deck speed not the $15 head that makes it sound good.
I have changed a lot of 4 channel heads in the 244 and 144 back in their day, the 246 is not a lot different as well as the lower Porta 1, 2, 5 and 7 units.

I recently hooked up my Syncaset 234 4 track cassette unit and was floored by the quality. I haven't heard it in recent years. Deep lows and warm transient highs. What a great little machine. I recall doing all of my recordings with the variable tape speed pegged right to give me the fastest IPS which I believe was 3.75.

I've read claims by the industry that the heads used in their 4 track machines were much higher in quality than regular cassette decks. Didn't make sense to me from a business point. I'll take your word for it you've replaced enough of them.

Those 234's are fetching a decent buck.
I haven't heard one in a long long time.

Any deck would work, CD recorders are fickel, the cheapest one that works reliably is the TEAC 900Cw. It depends on what you are going to do with the master. If you want to sell/market your stuff CD is still the most common format. Otherwise it's a reel to reel or cassette to stay analog. If you are specifically looking for a cassette recorder something more up to date with HXPRO would be best. I scored a JVC deck that is the best cassette consumer wise I've ever recorded on for $50.00 off of ebay. Even got some new tapes with it. It was obviously well cared for and used occasionally, Cleaned and demag'd and poof!! perfect. they're out there. I have a studio and every now and then people still ask for 10-20 copies of their albums on cassette. Doing the cover art is a pain, but direct from either digital or the tape machines to this deck and it makes a pretty killer copy, Dolby B/HX Pro settings. thats what you want.
Plays well on everything.

Last edited:
I started out using a Tascam 2 Track machine, then moved on to DAT for mastering. Now, i would master into computer to make CD's that people can play , or put on to SD cards. Once the recording is done on analogue tape, for that lovely smooth sound,you don't want to reduce the quality any further by going on to another tape, then another for copying. Just my opinion.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.