Model 12 Audio Glitch From Windows Applications

Here's the response I got from their engineering department -- I will go through the steps, but having already matched everything to 48/24, don't have high hopes for any change in behavior. Note also that when I have had a different bitrate set, it clearly displays the message "USB Fs mismatch" and audio to the M12 stops working completely.

"We have never received the reports of noise caused by the driver in WINDOWS 10 on Model 12 so far.

The following factors can be considered from the intermittent sound interruptions and noise.
-The audio device in the computer is blocking USB audio communication.
-The sample rates do not match on Windows sound settings, the application used (including ASIO) and Model 12 main unit.
-The sample rate of one of the settings was switched on the way.

Disable the audio device in your computer.
After restarting your computer, match the sample rates of the recording and playback devices in the Windows sound settings to the sample rates of Model 12.
Please restart your computer and check the operation.

* Please use it when the sample rate on the recording device and playback device of the Windows sound setting, and the ASIO application match the value set in Model 12.
?Please check if the sample rate of any setting is switched when the symptom occurs.

"

Reactions: madem
"We have never received the reports of noise caused by the driver in WINDOWS 10 on Model 12 so far."

Absolute lies. I've had multiple conversations with support talking about this. I got the same denials.

TASCAM need multiple people sending links to this thread and the others here. Im going to do that right now.

This nonsense about non matching sample rates is EXACTLY the same runaround they gave me until I sent them links to threads here and then the support went silent. To be clear, I've been using audio on PC's for over 20 years. I know how to match sample rates.

Clearly its still the same 'deny everything' line.

Awful CS.

I've noticed the USB Fs mismatch is triggered when I start some applications like Discord for example. My sound cuts out entirely rather than making weird glitching noises. It's really astonishing how much trouble this interface is giving me.

Do you reckon there is any chance we are a few unlucky customers dealing with faulty devices, or is this a broader issue?

I've been trying to figure that out myself -- if it's a defective device or some other issue. It's my impression that the issue only comes up on Windows computers, maybe there are enough people using other OSes, or more people just using it as a mixer/recorder and not so much as an audio interface to notice? I've double-triple-checked my settings -- even re-enabled audio devices to set them to 48/24 and disabling them again, and disabled devices that don't support 48/24 even if I wasn't actively using them, to eliminate any possible conflicts. I haven't reported back to TASCAM yet as it takes a while for me to tell if it made a difference or not -- although I have had the glitch a couple of times since re-checking settings.

The USB Fs mismatch issues seems different to me -- like what you described, audio is either working (no error message) or not working at all (mismatch error displayed), where the glitch is intermittent and only slightly-predictable. I'll try to reproduce the issue you describe with Discord too.

I'm also getting this issue with a little game called "Crab Game" (don't ask). But that game happens to be free on Steam so perhaps you can experiment with it as well as with Discord. For me the audio is fixed alt-tabbing out of the game and changing my sample-rate to whatever it is to something else, Apply that, and then change it back to the original setting. I've shared this info with Tascam as well.

I've double-triple-checked my settings -- even re-enabled audio devices to set them to 48/24 and disabling them again, and disabled devices that don't support 48/24 even if I wasn't actively using them, to eliminate any possible conflicts. I haven't reported back to TASCAM yet as it takes a while for me to tell if it made a difference or not -- although I have had the glitch a couple of times since re-checking settings.

Same. Probably why I found this really frustrating, its all change one setting, check everything, change another setting and check everything. Its annoying, if I change more than one setting, and everything works, I wont know which setting fixed things :)

However, doing this is what showed that exclusive mode seems to make a difference in some applications. For example, Media Player Classic, if I choose exclusive mode for the audio, no glitches happen at all. Foobar doesnt play ball with exclusive mode here tho, and gets confused if its playing back 44k audio while set to 48k and just wont play at all. I never ever get this issue with my Focusrite interface tho, I never have to change sample rates to get an application working. Opera browser, which I get this error with all the time, doesnt have options to choose exclusive mode. Setting exclusive mode in the control panel also has knock on effects (that I cant recall right now) that make that not such a great solution.

Its incredibly frustrating.

Anyway, it seems we are *finally* getting some recognition from TASCAM CS regarding this.

Reactions: AltTuning
madem -- I saw your posts about the response from TASCAM support, thanks for posting that and I'm glad they are at least listening and trying to troubleshoot.

At present I'm trying to simplify my setup as much as possible to collect more information and will be sending them my findings. Trouble with these intermittent problems is it takes time to know if a change affected it or not...

I suggest that you get a screen recorder program and let it run in the background while you work. Sooner or later it will capture the issue along with the audio and you can just edit it for that section.

Reactions: madem and AltTuning
madem -- I saw your posts about the response from TASCAM support, thanks for posting that and I'm glad they are at least listening and trying to troubleshoot.

At present I'm trying to simplify my setup as much as possible to collect more information and will be sending them my findings. Trouble with these intermittent problems is it takes time to know if a change affected it or not...

It seems I missed posting it in this thread too :)

I figured I should do as TASCAM asked and post their request on the forum. The more folk we can get sending details to TASCAM, the more chance there is of getting this resolved. CS said they're reading the forum, they wanna know whats going on too, and hopefully we can take them at their word :)

It seems I missed posting it in this thread too :)

3 posts is enough for now, if you please. I'll look at taking one of those posts and putting it into a sticky thread for a period of time.

I think I only did two in the end? Apologies for multiple posts anyway tho :)

Sticky sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

Ah, a mod copied my post to another thread making it look like I posted it three times.

It wasnt me! :)

New threads

Members online