Modes that work best for you Native, Mackie or HUI

Steve Fogal

From
California
Gear owned
FW 1884, FW-1082
I have a TASCAM FW-1884 interface/controller. I've not got much use of it as a controller beyond transport functions in the last year or more since I got it.

Of the controller mode protocols to choose from, Native Control, Mackie Control & HUI Control. I have the Tascam set to it's 'Native Control' & Cubase 8 set to TASCAM US-428 (what I believe is the closet thing to my Tascams Native Controller protocol?), as there is no TASCAM FW-1884 listed in Cubase 8.

Native Control seems to give me some basic functions, but not as much control as Mackie & HUI modes provide, though these last 2 modes have caused some weird things when I tried them, like 'bleep sounds' from a VSTi sample whenever I'm on a Midi or Instrument Track, and once a key change when I touched something on the board (thought I moved a fader or something?), so I went with less functionality of boards various buttons with using the 'Native' Tascam mode ever since, which has never given this strangeness. Maybe I just have to play around with the different modes more, and/or may have to learn how to tweak whichever mode (if possible), to work best? The 'bleeps' never happen when I'm on a selected Audio Track.

I'd THINK that Steinberg would have included a TASCAM FW-1884, FW-1082 or FW-1804 mode for the Tascam FW series units, since they DO include a TASCAM US-428 mode. Or is the US-428 the same thing as the FW-1884 Native mode?
And if I'm really supposed to be using either Mackie or HUI modes, why I'm I getting strangeness, like the bleeps from VSTi's while I'm on an Instrument or Midi Track?

Ok, I've found that Cubase actually has another Tascam mode besides the US-428, which is a Tascam DM-24 (HUI) mode. I hadn't noticed this mode before, but it's been over a year since I've looked last, and have been using the Tascam US-428 mode in Cubase with Native FW-1884 mode with the Tascam, which has very little functionality beyond simple transport functions.

With Cubase's DM-24 (HUI) mode & the Tascam FW-1884 HUI Emulation mode, this seems to be the best combination after having fiddling around, back & fourth with every possible combination of modes for about 3 hours. And to my surprise, this mode combination actually allows the Forward & Rewind buttons on the Tascam to keep moving after just a momentary press of the buttons. With all other mode combinations I have to press & hold the Forward & Rewind buttons to keep moving.

As far as I can tell, the only other combination that works similarly well as the Tascam DM-24/HUI Emulation, is Cubase's Mackie HUI mode/Tascam's HUI Emulation, but so far the only difference I have found is that it does not allow the Forward & Rewind buttons to be momentarily pressed and keep moving, I have to keep holding them down.

There are a few combinations of modes that had produced annoying 'bleep sounds' from triggering samples of VSTi's on just about every button on the Tascam FW-1884, Mackie mode being the worst culprit of that, although it does provide control over many functions. Others modes also produce bleep sounds, but have no functionality at all.

I also had forgotten that the Tascam FW-1884 has 2 Cubase modes, Cubase LE mode & Cubase SX/Nuendo mode, but neither have any functionality at all with any mode I've selected in Cubase. I'm now wondering if there is a download for a custom Tascam FW-1884 mode floating around somewhere that can be added to Cubase.

I know this thread is old, but I want to let people know that the FW-1082 is fully working with Adobe Audition CS6 in mackie mode. Switch the unit to mackie mode, activate mackie mode in Audition, select FW-1082 Control as your midi input AND output, and voila! EVERYTHING ON THE UNIT FUNCTIONS AS IT SHOULD.

Reactions: Steve Fogal

New threads

Members online