MU-1000 Not Working in "Remote" Layer

Jonne B Goode

Gear owned
DM-4800
Ok… First let me say that I am brand new to using this Forum for help; I am brand new to working in Digital World (Although, I did work in a recording studio about a 150 years ago); and I have a brand new DM-4800 that I have barely started to use. So, be gentle with me, please.

I understand it’s better to only include one issue per thread, and I will do that. However, I am having a few issues, so I will be adding a couple more shortly. I hope that’s okay with everybody.

I purchased a new DM-4800, Firewire card, and MU-1000.

I installed the card, and got it working with my Logic Pro X software. And, installed the MU-1000, exactly as the very simplified instructions indicated.

I tested the board/meter bridge with a couple of microphones. Channel meters worked appropriately, including the Stereo L/R meter.

However, when using the board as a DAW controller (Remote): The only meters functioning on the meter bridge are the Stereo L/R. The individual channel meters, nor the Timecode indicator work.

Any offers of solutions, or things I should try?

Thank you in advance.

Using Remote and mixing in the the box, you will not see the outputs of your DAW corresponding with DM4800 meters. Need to configure your DAW to send MTC code and your DM to receive. I use the USB connectivity for that.

Ok… First let me say that I am brand new to using this Forum for help; I am brand new to working in Digital World (Although, I did work in a recording studio about a 150 years ago); and I have a brand new DM-4800 that I have barely started to use. So, be gentle with me, please.

I understand it’s better to only include one issue per thread, and I will do that. However, I am having a few issues, so I will be adding a couple more shortly. I hope that’s okay with everybody.

I purchased a new DM-4800, Firewire card, and MU-1000.

I installed the card, and got it working with my Logic Pro X software. And, installed the MU-1000, exactly as the very simplified instructions indicated.

I tested the board/meter bridge with a couple of microphones. Channel meters worked appropriately, including the Stereo L/R meter.

However, when using the board as a DAW controller (Remote): The only meters functioning on the meter bridge are the Stereo L/R. The individual channel meters, nor the Timecode indicator work.

Any offers of solutions, or things I should try?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome Jonne B Goode. I have the DM-3200, the Firewire card and the MU-1000. Yes, unfortunately you cannot automatically see the levels from your DAW on the meter bridge (or the corresponding screen on the board itself). What I do (using Cubase and Pro Tools) is assign the direct outputs from the firewire card to the first layers of the board. For example, let's say I have on Track/Channel 1 in the DAW a lead guitar solo, and on Track/Channel 2, a rhythm guitar part, I will those tracks outputted to Slot 1/Slot 2 as a stereo out 1 in my DAW and treat those 2 channels as a buss. You could also do the same as creating mono outputs but you lose the ability to pan on the Remote layer (you would pan on the Channel 1-32 layers).

You can then calibrate the meter bridge level meters to your DAW's "internal" channels or the direct outs, depending on how you like to work. The other thing is that you can press the first layer button on the meter bridge and still have the virtual scribble strip on the LCD screen. It's not ideal, but I've become used to it and it allows me to mix more old school than constantly looking at the screen.

If you work this way, you will have to re-route your tracks to a buss to record back into your DAW on a stereo track or mix to another deck or computer in real time. Off-line rendering will not work.

Using Remote and mixing in the the box, you will not see the outputs of your DAW corresponding with DM4800 meters. Need to configure your DAW to send MTC code and your DM to receive. I use the USB connectivity for that.

Thank you very much, CMaffia, for this and your other replies.
Any chance you could tell me exactly how to "configure your DAW to send MTC code and your DM to receive." it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, again.

Welcome Jonne B Goode. I have the DM-3200, the Firewire card and the MU-1000. Yes, unfortunately you cannot automatically see the levels from your DAW on the meter bridge (or the corresponding screen on the board itself). What I do (using Cubase and Pro Tools) is assign the direct outputs from the firewire card to the first layers of the board. For example, let's say I have on Track/Channel 1 in the DAW a lead guitar solo, and on Track/Channel 2, a rhythm guitar part, I will those tracks outputted to Slot 1/Slot 2 as a stereo out 1 in my DAW and treat those 2 channels as a buss. You could also do the same as creating mono outputs but you lose the ability to pan on the Remote layer (you would pan on the Channel 1-32 layers).

You can then calibrate the meter bridge level meters to your DAW's "internal" channels or the direct outs, depending on how you like to work. The other thing is that you can press the first layer button on the meter bridge and still have the virtual scribble strip on the LCD screen. It's not ideal, but I've become used to it and it allows me to mix more old school than constantly looking at the screen.

If you work this way, you will have to re-route your tracks to a buss to record back into your DAW on a stereo track or mix to another deck or computer in real time. Off-line rendering will not work.

Thank you very much, JHTorch, for your reply.
I'm gong to need to study your reply, but I think I can figure it out. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks, again.

Thank you very much, CMaffia, for this and your other replies.
Any chance you could tell me exactly how to "configure your DAW to send MTC code and your DM to receive." it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, again.
MTC from your DAW is transmitted on Tascam Port 3 and from the Automation menu under Timecode (if I remember correctly) you have to set it to transmit via USB MTC.

Okay.
Thanks again, CMaffia

New threads

Members online