Multi effects recommendation

David C

From
Nashville
Gear owned
DP-32SD
so I have a Tascam DP 32. I’m looking around for an external multi effects unit to do some bouncing and enhance some tracks. Any suggestions? What do you have? Pros/ cons? Before I dive in and spend some $, I’de like to hear what you use. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks Matt. What kind of tracks do you like to use it on? Vocals, acoustic? Any level sensitivity issues?

It is still fairly new to me. I have used it on single tracks only a couple of times. I use it most to add ambience to a mix. I apply reverb and maybe a bit of echo to my mix by printing the effect to a track, and then using that track in the final mixdown.

First use it required a few minutes of setting levels, but no issues since then.

Cool. Thanks for the response. Just what I need to start my search.

Don't overlook using your computer and the effects that come with Reaper. $60 for a license, try it first for free.

It is very easy to export a track, add an effect, render and import. This is great for effects that cannot be done in real time, like time expansion and compression, reverse track, pitch change, etc.

I had a drum track that was good but just too long in duration. Export to Reaper, smush it up some, and import. Same feel, same pitch, just shorter. So cool!

Matt B

In addition to using the internal effects, I've had very good, near-pro quality results with this outboard gear:

Digitech RP 360 for guitar/vocal effects, drums
Operates at line level in and out, 1/4" mono phone jacks.
Pros:
* Highly flexible
* Emulates most if not all of the best effects pedal/amp /cabinet combinations past and current.
* 99 presets of various combinations.
* An additional 99 custom combinations can be created.
* can turn a standard electric guitar into a credible bass guitar.
* credible, but limited pattern, drum machine. With some targeted EQ tweaking can be made to sound quite good.

Cons:
No real downside/issues other than the somewhat limited choice of drum patterns.
-----------------------------
TC-Helicon Voicetone Harmonizer G-XT for vocals
Designed for singer/guitarist live performances. Adapts nicely to studio use.
Pros:
* used judiciously creates realistic harmonies.
* combines vocal and harmonies in stereo with or without effects, so one take can give you a finished vocal with two-part stereo harmony.
* can also output a full harmony-only in stereo with or without effects.
* very flexible effects/harmony voicing combinations.
* automatically detects key of song using guitar or keyboard input.
* automatically creates correct harmony based on chord being played.
* has Helicon versions of Autotune and AuralExciter.

Cons:
* relies on clear chording that includes the root and third.
* occasionally the harmony choices it makes can be quite "interesting", particularly with quick chord changes and chords that don't have a clearly played root and third.

Considerations:
* Input is low impedence balancedXLR mic. Requires a hiZ 1/4" phone plug to lowZ XLR male transformer to bring in DP Send Out, which is hiZ. (Shure makes one for about $20US. Available at Amazon and most music stores.)
* Outputs are balanced XLR, so requires short XLR female/male or XLR to 1/4" mono phone plug to connect to DP Inputs.
* Autotune can't make a poor vocal sound good. Harmonies are best when the vocalist is spot on.

Last edited:
Great idea. I could get started on using inserts sooner than later. I’ll check out Reaper. I’m sure thete’s A bunch of computer based programs. This is the second time I’ve run across reaper. So that’ll be my first inquiry.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much Mark. Great info! I can't wait to try some of this gear out. I've been bouncing using internal effects which sounds fine. But now I'm very interested in the differences. The 32 is limited by design. Certainly can't fit all you ultimately need into one unit. The effects world is endless it appears. Your input tweaks my curiosity that much more!

I also recommend the Digitech RP360 (I have the XP version which has the expression pedal). It is loaded with quality effects - and at just under $200.00 - it is an amazing value.

I also have and use an older (first generation) Alesis Nanoverb - which has some limitations... but also some really quality reverbs.

It’s amazing what’s happened to digital over a short period of time. So much to select from. I’m going shopping for a new toy!

New threads

Members online