MX-2424 HD question

NickUk

Gear owned
X48
Hi there,

I recently picked up this MX-2424 with the analog and optical cards fitted, however no HD or dvd Drive fitted

I do have a Panasonic LF-D201 Internal 4.7Gb / 9.4Gb SCSI DVD-RAM Drive in my parts drawer

and various hdd’s knocking about

can anyone help me with what I need to do to try to get this MX-2424 up and running ?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-OqUi4rN7IgsQa46erP0NuUIoQWXAOs4

Any help would be much appreciated

regards Nick

Did you get it up and running?

Reactions: NickUk
Hi,

many thanks for asking

Not yet , still work in progress

I’ve sourced a 15k spin 36gb scsi hard drive as well

Im looking into how to mount the hard drive as nothing in the mx2424 to attach hd to, there is the ribbon cable and terminator thankfully

any photos of how the hd is physically fitted inside the MX-2424 would be most helpful

kind regards

Nick

I use external HD’s. Inside if no hd there should be a ribbon and pwr cable. On left side front of case there should be frame for mounting hd. Do you have manuals? If not you should get em it’ll walk you thru had install os installs etc.

Hi,

many thanks for this, I’ll have another look inside and see if the frame is there to mount the SCSI HDD, but I don’t think so

please see the interior photos in the folder below

the aperture to the left where I’m guessing there was a dvd rom drive fitted is just a space at the moment

there is a ribbon cable inside with two connectors and a terminator, this ribbon is labelled “FIXED DISK” and ”BAY DISK” and also there is a power cable for the HDD or DVD ROM drive

do you any interior shots showing what the frame fitting should look like?

So far to move this project forward I have …

1. Panasonic LF-D201 DVD Rom Drive
2. 1 x HP 356914-001 289241-001 36.4GB 15K SCSI HD
3. pair of ST336607LW 36gb SCSi hard drives in a GLYPH external 2 bay unit

I look forward to hearing from you

kindest regards

Nick

I personally would use the glyph external. In early models there was an issue with pwr supply, I reseated cables inside but still got dim lcd display when drive was working hard. There were lost tracks projects etc I switched to a cheap old sun housing for external drives and never had an issue since.

I had an se with two internal drives no dimming but I went to external with that and every mx I’ve had since, 6 total. It’s been about 23 yrs since I’ve looked inside. I have three mx’s in my studio but unfortunately my health has been going down last 6 years and I’m now completely bedridden can’t take a look at my mx’s for you. But, I seem to remember an open spot for a dvd ram drive in front and there was a frame allowing internal drive mounted over top of dvd ram drive.

Do you have an sd card with os loaded on it? A computer to handshake with running xp? Xp seemed to work best.

Id probably go external drives and use computer to make bu files either by physically moving a drive to outer or transfer files over Ethernet plus I’d use dvdr’s instead of dvd ram the ram wasn’t always reliable. 3 bu’s or it’s not backed up lol Should be able to get a standard old hd mount frame you can use if you really want to use internal drive. I don’t think there was anything magic about the frame that was inside. I hope I’ve been of some help sorry I couldn’t be more helpful

Reactions: mixerizer
Hi, Thank you so much , this is very helpful.

makes complete sense the HHD mount frame would be on top of the rom drive unit, in which case my HDD mount frame is missing, so a logical path forward would be to go external.

I'll look into all this and move things forward as much as , thank you again, so helpful and thank you for your kindest in helping me

re the PC i am thinking to build a PC with 2012 mac mini as it has the intel chip processor , load it with win XP, do you think this would work for MX View etc?

Many thanks again

Kind regards, Nick

I don’t know about Mac mini. I still have two towers from early 2k still in use with mx2424 and three laptops from around same era. None have ever been on internet so they work great faster than my newer computers because they aren’t bogged down with junk. I grabbed the xp laptops off eBay cheap just for working with mx2424. When I find stuff that works I tend to stick with it. My audio programs with my daw are old, they work fine I’m used to them I don’t lose time learning new programs. If a new program came along and really made a huge difference in sound I’d switch but only differences I found are better graphics, cooler names for basically presets on programs like different iq programs or delays.

Before my health crashed I went back to analog. I had a hybrid setup. I enjoyed recording and mixing all analog but it was very laid back. I’d light my pipe during rewind, slurp some tea. Then hit play once back to start of song. It could take two weeks to mix a song with all the patching and listening to different effects eq settings fader moves on a non automated board, marking things writing down settings. I could do same mix on laptop in 15-20min both mixes sound pretty much the same. Lol It was a choice to slow down take a stroll thru the woods. :)

If I remember correctly it’s supposed to be 98se but I did use reg 98 for a while but pretty sure SE was recommended.

outside of that, like I stated I use old xp pros never been on internet they run fine but developing waveforms for first time takes a while. I was going to upgrade computers but saw so many issues ppl had and I’m horrible with computers so, you know, I keep it simple cause I’m....lol

Tascam told us 98 wouldn’t work had to be 98SE or better.
I used 98 and it worked fine with viewnet but once we got mxview in 2001 98 started crashing a lot during edits.
Maybe it had to do with Ethernet support. Viewnet not as taxing as mxview on Ethernet. Maybe 98 was stuck at 10mbps and 100mbps was needed for mxview?

I don’t know but I do know 98 didn’t work well with mxview and for recommended os’s from Tascam they started at 98SE. They probably had a good reason for starting at 98SE instead of 98.

We didn’t have a choice in 2k, viewnet was only thing they had. Lol A lot of folks were not happy. Some got refunds left to some other box. I think most ppl like me that stuck around ended up very happy. Look it’s going on 24 years I still use em I have 3 I had more. At what they are going for today I don’t know why more ppl aren’t buying them up. :)

I had my first one just before mx view, Lucky it came out soon after. I still have 3 of them but I don’t use them any more except for old projects. The main problem was scsi. As the drives and gear got older. It’s only been a year or so since they were fully retired. They are now parked next to my 16 track machine.

Yeah scsi is a problem. I had a lot of drives I’m sure you did too. I was practically giving them away when I thought I was done using my mx’s. Then after I came back to using mx’s there’s fewer scsi drives available price went up and I’ve bought used get em in and some were doa. I was hoping someone would come up with a reliable ssd drive system that was cost effective.
:)

When I restored and upgraded a broken x-48, I used an off-the-shelf IDE-to-SATA adapter and a Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB HD drive to replace the original 3.5” SCSI HD.

I found that overall, the closer I got to the original spec, the better - but ultimately it was indeed just a PC with some irreplaceable custom parts. I am glad to say the restoration, motherboard swap and upgrade was a success and the recorder is working really well ever since.

good luck - and keep at it if you love the MX - with motivation and determination I am sure you will find the solution.

Reactions: Caveman
Thanks I’ll have to look into that. There was another solution a few years ago but it was too expensive. Can’t remember what it was.

Thanks, it’s mainly old scsi drives that hurt the mx imho.

New threads

Staff online

Members online