My new song with help of Airgigs and BandLab

I sent the following to Mariano yesterday. "Mariano, I would like to use this song (Waylon's) as a guide for a revision to one or both versions, please. I like how the drums have less reverb and brought more to the forefront (or pronounced) in Waylon's song. Also the kick drum low-end tightened with more punch please. I do like your mix as is, so these changes would be experimental for potential of improvement or as an alternative.'

His reply "Regarding the drums, the current recording has a specific sound that makes it challenging to exactly match the reference without sounding artificial. The resonance and bass of the kick drums are already present, and removing them would impact the overall quality. This could be due to the microphone's position in the kick drum; perhaps it was too close or inside the drum, or vice versa. I've also shared with Ivan the suggestion to leave a few additional seconds at the end of the songs to facilitate, if necessary, a smoother and controlled fade-out during the mix"

I have to agree with him in this regard because I've had trouble taming Ivan's kick drum boominess on several songs. I've tried EQ'ing the lower frequencies down which can help, but then starts to sound thin very quickly effecting the song's combined sound. Mariano and Ivan are communicating directly so hopefully solutions may arise soon.

I've asked Ivan to make videos of him drumming to SNC and Me Time. He's working on them and they should be ready in the next couple weeks. I told him that if he wants use them on his Youtube channel, Airgigs page (demos section) or elsewhere, that it's okay with me and he's welcomed to do so. I'm going offer the same to Laura if she wants to use his videos . I have a Youtube channel also, but currently there's no content on it. I intend to post them on mine.

When I was in high school there was a guy that would set up his drums outside at night at a bayfront park using a generator. He would play well known artists songs through a PA and he would drum to them. Sounded great and a lot of people (mostly drunk, including me) would dance to them. I guess it left a lasting impression on me and I enjoy watching videos of Youtube drummers doing cover songs

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Ivan Drumming To Me Time

My Youtube Channel of Ivan's Drumming

Very cool of Ivan to send this video to me. I might have to ask for a revision from him to ham it up by wearing a long blond wig, leather pants, a tiger striped half shirt that bares his midriff, and of course make-up! Also, using oversized Tommy Chong (Up In Smoke) battle of the bands sized drum sticks while hitting the skins as hard as possible with a scowl on his face. Lol JK.

Last edited:
a guy that developed Tinnitus, which I also have since last year
My condolences...but I doubt it's the Franken-Tele's fault...

I have tinnitus too - so bad (the last 10 years or so) that I can't even hear myself speak. It's like a WWII air-raid, but 24/7/265.
I also think that's why my recordings aren't better (that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it!!!:p)

PS: I seriously considered one of those cheapo-kits to put a thinline Tele into my stable...but didn't do it, since I figured I'd spend years (and $$$) afterward fixing up all its' weaknesses (cheap parts/elex, lousy p'ups, neck work, yadayadayada...)

My dad, mom, oldest brother and youngest sister have Tinnitus too. As of now mine can come and go, but it will likely worsen with age and recording. Sorry, to hear (no pun) that you have such a heavy type of it, shredd.

I don't think I'd otherwise consider a kit for the same reasons you mentioned. Being that it was fully built,50 beans, and I had p/u's on hand it seemed like nothing to lose at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: shredd
As of now mine can come and go, but it will likely worsen with age and recording
Argh...I feel yo' payne, brutha...that's about where I was at maybe 10 years ago - and thought if I was careful/judicious with the noise/sound levels I subjected my hearing to, I'd be OK...
Ten years later, I can barely record w/h'phones on, because after a couple of hours - even with modest SPL's - it goes from shrill screaming to skull-piercing. In a coupla more years, everything in my studio is going to have to have visible meters/activity indicators, because I won't be able to hear it if a plane fell on my house...:oops:
It'll be like reading by Braille, except with music...

Last edited:
I know it's all accumulative over a lifetime. However, I think that since I started recording over a year ago it took over the top.

You've probably read that there's been studies on people that don't have Tinnitus or any hear loss that were put in isolation booths and after 15 minutes of dead silence develope temporary tinnitus.

I use mine as an excuse to tune out my wife, so there are some upsides..lol.

A major cause of tinnitus is excess insulin. Personally I have eliminated grains (especially wheat) from my diet. I've dropped 4 KG while sitting at the mixing desk and no exercise. My ever-present tones and interference (that I have learned to compensate for) is now starting to significantly lessen.

MJ, keep us updated on that please. I've also read people doing keto diets for "T" relief.

Can Diabetes Cause Tinnitus
"The inner ear is dependent on glucose metabolism in the bloodstream and thus can be impacted by high blood sugar. Another thing that can cause tinnitus is high levels of insulin. This means that tinnitus may happen as a symptom of hypoglycemia caused by taking a higher than required dose of insulin"

My Noise (Noise Generator)
I use this site occassionally

Nick, buy the book Wheat Belly. It will scare you right out of diabetes forever.

I am not a diabetic, but I would like to avoid becoming one. Other than fatigue from working 3 x 12 hour (7p-7a nightshifts) in a row I don't have any other symptoms of a gluten allergy. Isn't there an old blues artist named Blind Wheatbelly Smith?

Isn't there an old blues artist named Blind Wheatbelly Smith?

Lord, I hope not! For his sake!

Lol. Though that combination or either individually would truly not be funny in reality.

Since Laura is very busy presently and doesn't get much time to record I reached out to another Airgigs female singer yesterday. Her name is Elise and she is the first person talking/singing in the video below. I sent her an instrumental, a guide with my vocals and the lyrics. She said she will send a demo to me at some point today. Very impressive band. Dude has killer bass lines on Walking Contradiction.

Last edited:
Since Laura is very busy presently and doesn't get much time to record I reached out to another Airgigs female singer yesterday. Her name is Elise
Yeesh. Another killer voice!!!:cool:

Very reasonable too at $75 per song for a lead track. $100 for lead and backing.

I looked on Fiverr too. Fiverr's layout is better than Airgigs, but I don't like how they do their artist's pricing compared to Airgigs.

Unexpectedly sooner than I thought would happen Laura sent me her tracks for the song Did We Get It Right. She sent three versions and all three are great! I did a rough raw mix of them on BandLab. . Problem will be picking the best one or a combination of. Hope you like them too?

DWGIR (v1)
DWGIR (v2)
DWGIR (v3)

Last edited:
Elise sent her demo to me for Look Around. She came up with avery good idea for her back tracks. However, her lead didn't incense any excitement for me.

Look Around

This is my reply to her.
"Hi Elise,
Thanks for the demo. I like your idea for bgv's. As far as the lead I would prefer starting out in a lower pitch and I know that you have that in your range based on the song Out My Mind. I'm sorry as that is my fault and I didn't specify that to you prior to recording. Also I'm not sure if you were trying to match my cadence or tone when you sang, but if you did please don't because I suck!!l. Mine are just a loose guide.

Even though this a laid back song I hope you can find a way to fittingly display your range. I guess I have a preference for a vocals with a fine line of having an edge to them without being over-sung or under-sung. I didn't get any sense of excitement from this version. However, I am going to accept your offer because I heard what you are capable of on your videos. I also feel your musical sense will lead you in the right direction. It certainly did on your Pitch Pockets songs."

Last edited:
However, her lead didn't incense any excitement for me
Gonna haveta agree with this (even though my musical expertise doesn't qualify me to assess a beer jingle...).

Elise has a nice voice, good power/range...and - if properly applied (my frame of reference being the vid above of her in on "Out Of Mind" - she cranks, you can hear and feel her putting her all into it).
So, yeah...I think she could do better vox on your tune, if you can convey what you want from her...

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback shredd. I'm sure she'll sort it out. I can see (hear) the angle that she was coming from and that type of (uneventful) singing is popular today with artist like Billie Eilish (whisper singer extraordinaire), Taylor Swift and others. Unlike those turds Alise has the pipes, so lets hear them!

Last edited:
Reactions: shredd
I can see (hear) the angle that she was coming from and that type of (uneventful) singing is popular today
Yuh-huh. "Popular" as in "sells bajillions" (rolling eyes).

Give me a singer who puts their passion/feelings/power into their vox. I wouldn't trade 100 Taylor Swifts for 1 Paul Rogers, John Anderson, or Prince. I wouldn't give 300 Billy Ilish's for 1 Freddy Mercury.:D

Reactions: -mjk- and Slugworth

New threads

Members online