My SD card was ruined after importing a .wav file

Spyder

Yesterday I was importing a .wav file to my DP-24, (first time I've done this), and after I selected 'track 1' of a new song I created to import the .wav file there (small file, just a click track), the DP-24 froze. I hit the power button to turn the machine off but that didn't work so I had to unplug it. When I powered it back on, the graphics in the display showed for a bit then froze. I tried this a couple more times, then when it was powered off, I removed the SD card (the original one that came with the machine) and it started fine. So I broke the SD card while importing the file somehow.

The .wav file was exported from EZ Drummer 2. I selected 24 bit (as my new song was 48khz, 24 bit), and I actually first tried importing that file, but it didn't allow me because the file was 44.1 khz. So I opened that .wav file in Adobe Audition and exported it at 48khz. I then was going to import it and the options for track were 1-2, 3-4, etc. So I realized I was exporting that file from Audition as stereo. So I went back to Audition and exported it as a mono track. So then it allowed me to choose track 1 for my song, then it froze. So I'm not sure what killed my SD card. The only songs on the card were the demo song that came with the machine and one other song that just had a guitar and bass track, so it's not like it was full. Any ideas?

It's unlikely that the SD card is dead or damaged or broken. Try removing the file and boot up again.
If this works then there might be an incompatibility between the EZ Drummer export wav format and what the DP24 expects.
Have a read back through section 13 of the manual to check the procedures. Are there any non standard characters in the file name for example.

Hi there, thanks for your quick reply. I looked on my computer where the .wav file was stored and I do have an underscore (_) in the file name, so that is probably the issue. I looked at the manual again and did see it mentioned the files must have single-type alphanumerical values. So that must be it. Unfortunately I can't get that .wav file off my SD card because my Surface Pro 3 only has a slot for microSD so I'll have to buy an adapter so I can put the SD card into my Surface and then remove that .wav file and see if it works properly.

I don't think the issue was the EZ Drummer file since I brought that .wav file into Audition and reformatted it there. Thanks again! Cheers.
Kevin

Hello again, I have tried importing various .wav files into my DP24 but am still having issues. I can now get to the stage where it shows the import is complete. I then play the song and I hear the track play for 1 or 2 seconds and then it freezes and horrible audio continues playing. I set up my song at 48kz, 24 bit rate, and the .wav files I'm importing are the same. Earlier I tried importing a track from EZ Drummer 2, later I tried other small songs I have on my computer that I exported as .wav files, 48khz, 24 bits, mono. Each time the DP24 freezes and I need to take out the SD card (after powering out) and remove the file.

Also, for some reason when I look at the file on the SD card, the .wav files I import are changed to ZZ0000-1. Not sure why that is happening.

I wasn't able to import the .wav files into track 1 for some reason so I always put them on track 2, not sure why it didn't allow me to import to track 1.

Any tips? I definitely need to figure out why I can't import .wav files. Thx.

Just a hunch - are the EZ drummer files playable with other wave players on the computer? They may be 'knobbled' in some way by Toontrack to prevent piracy, so that only their software can decode them properly. (oops just re-read your post re. using audacity so files must be ok!)
The Import process converts the wave file from the AudoDepot folder into an internal workfile in the Music/song folder. The file name is changed accordingly into the ZZ format, as with all other recorded files. None of these files should be messed with as they are not guaranteed to be complete - various pointers to sections of the files are also held in the .sys file, so the Export & Import functions are the correct ways to convert them to & from 'portable' files.
The import process only offers a choice of empty tracks, so maybe your track 1 is not empty.
Last option is to re-format the card, or maybe try another one.

Reactions: David Porter
Just want to wrap up this thread by letting you know that I fixed the problem: a rep from Tascam wrote me and told me to update the firmware on my DP-24. I hadn't done that since I bought it, so I just updated it and it worked! If only I did that earlier I would have saved myself a lot of pain and anguish :) I have the DP-24, not the DP-24SD, so the last (and final) update was done in July 2015. Since the DP-24 is discontinued I hope no more issues come up, but as long as I can now move .wav files to my unit then all is good. Thanks to those who replied to my posting, much appreciated!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.