Need help with Mixing and Mastering Effects

Sirmoog

Gear owned
DP-32SD
Hi all! I have a DP 32SD which I use for live recording of my 5 piece band. We typically record 8 tracks at once. I list that just for background.

I have two questions regarding the effects, keeping in mind that I: 1) have tried to read through the Forum and look on Youtube already, and 2) I'm no mastering or effects expert.

First question: does anyone have any recommended settings or a good starting point for settings for the mixer effects Delay or Reverb? I want to use this for the vocals. Most of what I've used in the past has had commonly used presets which work fine, but this unit doesn't have any presets that I can see. I was hoping someone would recommend some settings as a starting point. Along those lines, anyone have any recommended settings or a starting point for the Mastering Compressor? Our band is mostly 80's and 90's rock, if that helps.

Second question, can I add reverb or delay while doing the "live" recording? Up until now, I've been recording everything dry and direct, with not effects.

Thanks!

First question: does anyone have any recommended settings or a good starting point for settings for the mixer effects Delay or Reverb? I want to use this for the vocals... Along those lines, anyone have any recommended settings or a starting point for the Mastering Compressor?

(1) All the pre-sets have user adjustable parameters, and the defaults serve as excellent "starting points" and can be called up by pressing the Library button for the on-board Effects/Send (Reverb/Delay/Chorus) and the on-board Master Compression (Multi and Single). There's also two posts in the Stickies that describe how the Master Compression pre-sets impact the recording.

Second question, can I add reverb or delay while doing the "live" recording?
[ following my initial response, this section has been edited to add additional information for others who may do a search for information on using effects ]

(2) Depends on whether you want to use Effects/Guitar (Effect/Delay) or Effects/Send (Reverb/Delay/Chorus) or use an external signal processor; and whether you want to hear the effect, or print the effect, while tracking. There are posts in the Stickies that describe various ways to do these things. You may also want to watch Phil Tipping's videos (in the Stickies) on using Effects.

Keep in mind that if you want to print wet when tracking (opposed to hearing reverb or delay as you lay down tracks), then you're stuck with your choices, which might not work out in the final mix. I, as well as most other pro audio engineers I've known, likely would save those effects print decisions for Bouncing or the Mixdown process. That's why TASCAM designed the DP-24/32/SD to have Effects/Send bypass the recorder, but not the monitor system, when tracking.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks, I'm not a pro engineer, just looking for some guidance, and haven't found the posts you referenced. Really just looking for other members who have tried different things and maybe settled on one or two they like.

We've all posted that information in the sticky posts at the top of the forum. There are entire threads dedicated to effects use. You can't miss them. As Mark suggested, use the library presets as a starting point and see how you like them. Trust your ears.

Hoping to get some additional input, but thanks.

@Sirmoog There are tutorial videos by Phil Tipping, dozens of experiences, tips and suggestions in the sticky posts. Those resources, in addition to the user manual represent literally hundreds of person-hours worth of explainations from users with a wide range of experience using these machines in a variety of musical styles. Specifically, what additional input are you hoping to get?

New threads

Members online