Neo - Can Stereo Tracks 13-24 be used for mono recording?

Noto

Gear owned
DP32SD, 2488 Neo, 38 Reel
This may be a dumb question BUT on the 2488 NEO, can Stereo Tracks 13-14 or 15/16 or 17/18 etc, be used for mono recording?
I would be recording a mono signal on 2 stereo tracks and I would delete one when I import the song into REAPER to edit? Is there a downside to this?

Thank you

Hi Noto, no replies yet so I'll chip in with a dp32 viewpoint - not sure how closely they are related.... if you record a mono signal to a stereo track, the machine will create 2 files, one for the left, the other for the right, but these files will be exactly the same. When you play the track back, both files will be read back from the recording medium (sd-card or hard disc) and sent to the left & right sides of the stereo output respectively. There should be no audible difference compared to recording a mono track (which will create one file), and playing this back, where the machine will send 50% of the signal to the left side of the stereo output and 50% to the right if the pan control is central.
So as far as I can tell, the only overheads are the machine has to work twice as hard during recording and playback, and the recording will use twice the space on the recording medium.

Thank you Phil!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.