Neo2488 vs. dp32sd?

donnywest

Gear owned
neo2488, dp-32sd
When my old Neo crashed (does anyone know what ERROR CODE 4, SDRAM initialize error means?) I went out and got the DP32SD. I am disappointed somewhat. After one week of owning it here's a few complaints:
1-While there is a MUTE button, it's not the same as on the NEO. The new version just mutes the individual channels and not the monitors. So now when I am recording a live mic I literally have to turn off the monitors or they'll feed back or bleed into my recording. The NEO muted the monitors.
2- Confusing signal path. Much MUCH easier on the NEO! I suppose this just takes getting used to.
3-What? No PITCH/SSA control? I used this a lot on the NEO
4-Confusing UNDO system. On the NEO it was very simple
I guess there will be other issues as well. I haven't explored the whole unit yet or done a mix etc.. Having enough trouble with the basics.
Anyone agree? Opinions welcome

Donny West

Seriously? You're comparing a discontinued model that was new in 2004, with another model that's already long in the tooth? Yeah, the DP-24/32/SD is not a Neo.

1-While there is a MUTE button, it's not the same as on the NEO. The new version just mutes the individual channels and not the monitors. So now when I am recording a live mic I literally have to turn off the monitors or they'll feed back or bleed into my recording. The NEO muted the monitors.

The Mute button mutes the tracks. That takes it out of the stereo mix. I'm not sure what else you want it to do. There is no separate mute specifically for the monitors, but you can turn down the monitors with the knob.

You can always buy a used Neo if that's what you really want.

https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-2488NEO-2488neo-Digital-PortaStudio/dp/B001GL3B4Y

Not sure why you think the Undo system is harder. I don't own a Neo but its manual shows a multiple undo feature almost exactly the same as the DP24/32.
The DP even has a default simpler option where you can just undo/redo a single action without getting confused with multiple history levels.
As MJ said, it's a different machine, different price; just give it some time :)
Welcome to the forum by the way.

I don't understand your complaint. You honestly believe your Neo is better just because the DP has a slightly different workflow?

go buy a Neo used and sell me your DP for half price.....

[QUOTE="
You can always buy a used Neo if that's what you really want.

https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-2488NEO-2488neo-Digital-PortaStudio/dp/B001GL3B4Y

It's $5000!! o_O[/QUOTE]

I think the OP got the point. Buy what baffles me is, he didn't ask anything about trying to get it going again.

But hey, if you gotta have it, there it is! lol I used my follower network to find a used DP-32 (original with MIDI) in The Netherlands. It was 300 Euros (in 2018). Now that you can't find them at all I am going to keep it. I did entertain the idea of selling it but what I want to make it worth my while, exceeds the cost of a brand new SD version. It sure if convenient with MIDI and the CD player/recorder.

I recently got my DP-24SD used for $300 on Reverb. So no MIDI or CD drive for me, but I don’t need those. I’m completely blown away by the ease of use and reliability so far - especially at that price. I’ve seen complaints from a number of people about how the manual is poorly written and how hard it is to use, but that’s not been my experience at all. It was a bit of a head-scratcher for me with some features at first, but I think once you take the time to learn the logic of the machine, it’s a very fast way to work. I’m very fond of my DAW system, but this beats the pants off of it for writing and tracking!

@mijama I echo your sentiments. I thought the DP machine was very logical, coming from an analog tape background with inline consoles. Very similar in some respects. While I only use mine for remote recording these days, it's so easy to get up and running and you still get 24x48k resolution. Can't beat it.

I’m completely blown away by the ease of use and reliability so far - especially at that price. I’ve seen complaints from a number of people about how the manual is poorly written and how hard it is to use, but that’s not been my experience at all. It was a bit of a head-scratcher for me with some features at first, but I think once you take the time to learn the logic of the machine, it’s a very fast way to work. I’m very fond of my DAW system, but this beats the pants off of it for writing and tracking!

I could not agree more with everything you've said there. I've said it repeatedly here - just a cursory understanding of multitrack recording----> and then applying that to the relatively simple signal flow of the block diagram makes this recorder incredibly intuitive. And powerful.

And then just an understanding and acceptance that 1) the proper SD card is critical, and 2) updated firmware will eliminate unnecessary glitches, headaches, confusion, etc.

I've said it over and over - these things are an incredibly powerful tool for the money - a serious bang for the buck.

Members online

No members online now.