New Card Suggestion...Any Interest??

Neither. I use BlueTooth.(tm) :twisted:

Jes' kidden, Ernie. I use it through the digital ports. However, as an M/L fan, you know the annie inputs are purdy durn good - if you like that little bit of whatever it is that happens when a clean digital signal is mangled through a D/A conversion. ;)

CaptDan

Ok - just checking - perspectives.

seems like you use PT more as a multitrack recorder and do most of your processing on the DM. Do you mix to PT or an outboard 2-Track?

That's pretty accurate. PT10 - for what I'm doing - is the best DAW I've used. Everything is straightforward, editing is relatively easy, and the big payoff for me, anyway, is how effortlessly tracks can be routed in/out of PT to the DM. I can't say that for the other DAWs I used before - names withheld to protect the guilty. :rolleyes:

Most of the time I mix back to a PT stereo track, then bounce down to mastering files from there. However, I have a Masterlink, which I'll use if I need all 32 channels dedicated to the mix (2 output slots are necessary for sending back to DAW) - or perhaps - as a backup target recorder while PT is printing the DM automated mix.

CaptDan

We'll probably do the same of going to stereo track in our DAWs for final mixing now that we have the board. Finally did a hook up and test of the DM. Gonna post a separate thread of my initial impressions.

If Tascam was to do any new card I would hope it would be something very useful such MADI and/or Thunderbolt.

Then you could use something like UA's new Realtime Rack that is being sold for use with Soundcraft Vi consoles but could be used with any MADI interface via Thunderbolt. This allows you use UAD plugs in real time just like when using the UA Apollo. No DAW required...

Sounds interesting.

I think - if he's amenable to it - 'RedBus' should chime in with his views on these ideas. Logic would suggest that, since the DM series is still being manufactured, their longevity is increased considerably.
And that helps to broaden the user base, providing incentive for additional hardware development.

Or so it seems to me. :)

CaptDan

Reactions: JHTorch
If Tascam was to do any new card I would hope it would be something very useful such MADI and/or Thunderbolt.

Then you could use something like UA's new Realtime Rack that is being sold for use with Soundcraft Vi consoles but could be used with any MADI interface via Thunderbolt. This allows you use UAD plugs in real time just like when using the UA Apollo. No DAW required...

Realtime Rack? Sounds very interesting I'm going to have to visit UA's site. (Actually I have to install the latest UAD drivers too anyway).

Eh, the less software I need, the absolute better.

This has been an interesting thread.

Perhaps I'm the odd man out, but I rarely use the DM's FX or EQs, and almost never use the DM's compressors. I don't use any plugs either - just use PT and Reaper as "tape recorders"......

The idea of MADI or Thunderbolt for external doovers sounds good, however I'd really like to see a way to use the TDIF ports for this......

This has been an interesting thread.

Perhaps I'm the odd man out, but I rarely use the DM's FX or EQs, and almost never use the DM's compressors. I don't use any plugs either - just use PT and Reaper as "tape recorders"......

The idea of MADI or Thunderbolt for external doovers sounds good, however I'd really like to see a way to use the TDIF ports for this......

So I guess you use mainly hardware? Or you mix au naturel I got rid of so much of my hardware, either by sale, gift or placed in storage. Putting aside the quality of most of the plugs I use, I really like the convenience of not having to deal with a patch bay, patch cables, note taking and all the rest associated with placing a compressor on the kick for example.

I do miss the immediacy of turning the knobs though. I have a Novation Nocturn MIDI controller to control the plugs. Better than a mouse but I would like something a little more "true to life."

Well you could use a Metric Halo 2882 +DSP as an outboard digital rack, it has 10 digital and 8 analog I/O. The MH ULN2 +DSP also has 10 channels of ADAT/AES digital I/O and 2 analog; both have killer plugins onboard like the "Character" plugins. Although it can be configured as a DAW recording interface you can also just use it for mixing busses and the great outboard effects. So the firewire connection would just be for control purposes and routing, but you could use your MOTU card and 2408's for your DAW tracks, etc...

Well you could use a Metric Halo 2882 +DSP as an outboard digital rack, it has 10 digital and 8 analog I/O. The MH ULN2 +DSP also has 10 channels of ADAT/AES digital I/O and 2 analog; both have killer plugins onboard like the "Character" plugins. Although it can be configured as a DAW recording interface you can also just use it for mixing busses and the great outboard effects. So the firewire connection would just be for control purposes and routing, but you could use your MOTU card and 2408's for your DAW tracks, etc...

Looks like a nice piece but more proprietary than I am suggesting.

So I guess you use mainly hardware? Or you mix au naturel I got rid of so much of my hardware, either by sale, gift or placed in storage. Putting aside the quality of most of the plugs I use, I really like the convenience of not having to deal with a patch bay, patch cables, note taking and all the rest associated with placing a compressor on the kick for example.

I do miss the immediacy of turning the knobs though. I have a Novation Nocturn MIDI controller to control the plugs. Better than a mouse but I would like something a little more "true to life."

* for sonic sculpting and FX I do use external h/w - mostly vintage gear for the colouration they offer.
* "au naturel" mixing also (very astute observation) - I find that fader moves (and DM automation) do most of what I need as what I record is already wet with the sound I'm after.
* don't need to do much external patching now - the DM's routing (via 2 x analog + 1 x surround card + aux) and a few different templates have all the outboard connected and ready to rock (e.g. a Buss-based template and an Insert-based template).

Knob twiddling is my preference too - and a trackball has replaced my mouse. For MIDI I just use various sample packs triggered from my Xylosynth, and the DM's control surface for PT/Reaper.

But back on topic - I'd love to have some outboard device with TDIF connections to use those 24 TDIF ports on the DM - that would double my outboard options.

New threads

Members online