New handheld tomorrow - anything else?

Logrinn

Veteran
From
Southern Sweden
Gear owned
Model 12
So Tascam has teased about them releasing a new handheld recorder tomorrow the 17:th.
Do you guys think they’ll be releasing something new in way multitrack recording too?

Whatever happens, it’ll be interesting to see what they’ll come up with.

New hand held is out on the US website. super cool PortaCapture X8

https://tascam.com/us/

It’s the next gen 4 track … full GUI on screen and can capture 4 inputs in 32 float bit depth…

It looks like a nice unit. Thomann has them in stock along with the Bluetooth adaptor.

Thomann has them in stock
As far as I can see, Thomann has it listed, but not available until 8-10 weeks. But it does look like a very nice hand held recorder. Almost too bad I don't have a purpose for it... :(

Reactions: -mjk- and Logrinn
Anyone know if the X8 will be able to apply compression (for record) and reverb (monitor only)? I'm interested because I use my DP008ex for vocal tracks before working on a DP32SD and this seems a great back up.

Reactions: -mjk-
I downloaded and skimmed the manual quickly and the unit definitely has an EQ very similar to the DP24, compression and noise gating, variable HPF, etc. It wasn’t clear at a glance if these effects were applicable to the tracks as you record or from the tracks to the 2 track mixdown on playback, or both. Kind in neat to find out.

It has some interesting peak detect and over level repair features too (via the 32 but float extra headroom)?

I downloaded the manual of the Tascam X8 and I see that as a stereo recording possibility there is also the Mid Side. However, despite there being four XLR channels, I see no hint of the possibility of first-order recording Ambisonic - will there be a possibility that this feature could be implemented via firmware update?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.