New member with DP24

Dave Mellett

Gear owned
DP 24
Hello all.
I recently acquired a DP24 and have been watching avidly Phil Tippings excellent videos and reading this forum for advice.
I don't have any questions or issues but just wanted to introduce myself and share my set up and modus operandi.
I have the older 24 not the 24sd, which for me was crucial as i needed midi sync in order to work with a sequencer.
I'm principally a guitarist but also play synths (a Juno 60 and DX7 back in the day, sadly both since long gone).
I'm in it purely for the pleasure and not in a band or a professional. My musical tastes are very wide. One minute I'm playing along with Eric Clapton while the next I'm trying to analyse and reproduce EDM like Daft Punk. I'm also a huge admirer of Vincent Clark.
So first a list of my gear:
Fender Strat
Line 6 Pod XT
Moog Minitaur
Korg Arp Odyssey
Korg Volca Keys
Roland TR-8
Lexicon MX300
MIDI keyboard CME UF5
Old Philip Rees midi splitter
iRig midi 2
Arturia Beatstep Pro
No computer
A thousand cables

Early days, but so far, recording sequenced tracks and overdubbing new sequences using midi sync has been a breeze.
I have been able to make the Odyssey polyphonic by recording three separate tracks then bouncing down (which is also very intuitive) making a believable strings backing.
The Odyssey has an XLR out which I wanted to use but the signal is too hot even with the trim right down. So I have reverted to mono jack.
The Minitaur is great at imitating a Bass or doing squelchy tb 303 sounds.
The Beatstep is really very good as long as you appreciate and recognise it's limitations.
The only thing left for me to try is the guitar input. Not sure if I should record dry or through the pod xt. Dry feels right but then using the pod xt as an outboard doesn't.
We used to use 4 track cassette machines back in the day, would have killed for something like this. Although we were lucky enough to get to record at Amazon in Liverpool and Olympic in Barnes.
Well that's a little about me, hope I can somehow give something back to this forum for all the helpful guidance I have got out of it.

Reactions: Kevin Bailey
I have a DP-24 too. What difference is the SD models?? Midi sync as you mentioned??

The newer SD models don't have midi or the CD drive. Because of this I think Tascam was able to reduce the price. The DP24 was 750ukp when released and the DP24SD is 400ukp ish now.
Not sure if there are any other major differences.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.