New Portable Recorders from TASCAM - DR-44WL and DR-22WL

DJ X

Administrator
Staff member
From
NYC

TASCAM has announced a pair of new portable recorders, the DR-44WL and DR-22WL. Each has new microphones, dedicated input level controls, and built-in WiFi – forming a direct network with your iOS or Android device. They can be controlled by a free app for transport control, audio streaming, file transfer and upload from your smartphone.

The DR-22WL is a stereo recorder with an EZ Mode dial to select recording settings automatically. The DR-44WL adds XLR inputs, four-channel recording, a multitrack mode, and much more.

Day 2 with the new device and it seems like the firmware of the DR-44WL is in beta. The iOS app needs some serious work too. Trying not be get frustrated by the bugs.

I am having problems after installing firmware 2.00! I now hove lines in my screen. Particularly the menu screens. I called Tascam service and repair number, left my number and so on. THE PROBLEM seems to be in the FIRMWARE UPDATES, as obviously from the forums. When I contacted the support line and was transferred to the techs... I GOT THIS: "The techs are all out for lunch (CLICK)..." IS THIS ANY WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS? NOW WHAT DO I DO, CANT APPEARENTLY GO BACK TO OLDER FIRMWARE!!! (HOLDING BREATH IN BEAVER DAM!!!

I had a firmware issue with another Tascam product yesterday and called during "lunch time" hours. I understand the frustration. They work like they are a union shop. Being in the IT field myself, I find this resource gap unacceptable when you are a huge company. Take lunch shifts.

Are you sure you can't reinstall the old firmware? I was able to on my DA-3000 unit. Back in the day, firmware upgrades were a 1 way ticket but most hardware can downgrade nowadays.

I am having problems after installing firmware 2.00! I now hove lines in my screen. Particularly the menu screens. I called Tascam service and repair number, left my number and so on. THE PROBLEM seems to be in the FIRMWARE UPDATES, as obviously from the forums. When I contacted the support line and was transferred to the techs... I GOT THIS: "The techs are all out for lunch (CLICK)..." IS THIS ANY WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS? NOW WHAT DO I DO, CANT APPEARENTLY GO BACK TO OLDER FIRMWARE!!! (HOLDING BREATH IN BEAVER DAM!!!

Same for me, as reported in a different thread: DR-22WL got frozen during the first live recording after upgraded to FW 2.0! (and I lost the whole concert although the recoded worked ok for the first 29 minutes). I'm very disappointed. And I confirm no way to come back to old FW, the system does not allow to install an older FW version than it is currently running.
Although I made some additional tests without issues later on, I hope they will fix soon since a bug like this is unacceptable on a device that is not supposed to be a cheap low quality stuff. I contacted the local support here in Italy, they told me they were going to report to the mother Company. Will see... I'm not very confident this will be fixed soon. And I'm not sure I will trust on TASCAM anymore, despite the strong heritage of the brand. The old times when the quality of the products and the satisfaction of the customer were at their top seem well gone...

Hello tmmlrd, yessss, the new firmware did the trick. Just install the new 2.01 firmeware and your precious Tascam does not stop (freezes) after 29 minutes. Pfff. A great relief. Contact with the helpdesk of Tascam? No response. Contact with my seller? No response. Had no experience. Unacceptable and unprofessional. Only a tiny suggestion to reinstall the latest firmware again. Happily it works fine now. While the programmers of Tascam were busy trying to fix their bug, the helpdesk did not take the effort and responsibility to inform the users. They have let us completely in the dark and did not response that they started to work on the problem of this handheld. But now: happy again, because it is a fine tool. So thanks.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.