WytchCrypt

From
Western Washington
Website
wytchcrypt.wixsite.com
Gear owned
DP-24SD
Hi all,

I'm a very happy new owner of a DP-24SD and wanted to introduce myself and put in a huge plug for the instructional youtube videos and step-by-step pdf guide from Phil Tipping ;)

I've been recording my own music on various multi-tracks since 1979. I began with an Akai GX4000-D which was a sound-on-sound reel-to-reel. It was basically a 2 track mono bouncing machine which doesn't sound too exciting in 2019 but back in 1979 I got mine new for about $350 which meant it was still the bees knees for home studios! You'd record on one track...then engage sound-on-sound mode which would play back that track and record it plus any new input signals to the other track. Then you'd go back and forth and bounce until the tape hiss told you it was time to stop. I could usually get 5 or 6 bounces out of it.

Anyway, in 1985 the Akai died and I replaced it with...guess what? The Tascam Porta One! I still remember the ad copy, it was a picture of the cover of Sgt Peppers with the caption, "Sgt Peppers was recorded on a 4 track. What will you do with 4 tracks?" Completely brilliant! I used that until 1991 when I upgraded to a PortaStudio 424. I used that until 2000 when I went digital and bought a Roland VS-1880. After 19 years, the Roland starting exhibiting problems I couldn't fix so a couple weeks ago I did my research and chose a DP-24SD. After starting out stereo multitracking with a Porta One 34 years ago, I feel like I've come back home :)

It's amazing how similar the DP-24SD is to my VS-1880 conceptually, though of course the actual way of getting things done is quite different. I really like that operationally the Tascam is much more straightforward than the VS; however, after reading the manual and trying some things out I realized there's still a lot to learn.

Enter Phil Tipping's video youtube series on the DP. I spent the past 3 days working through all the videos and today purchased his accompanying step-by-step pdf guide. Even after 4 decades of multi-tracking home studio experience, I still found Phil's vids and guide extremely valuable teaching this old dog a lot of new tricks! I highly recommend spending the time to watch all of Phil's vids and purchasing his step-by-step guide.

Anyway, very excited to begin the next chapter of home studio recording on my DP and happy that excellent resources like this forum and Phil's materials are available to help!

Thanks!
Dennis

Reactions: David Porter
Hi Dennis, and welcome to the Tascam Forums! You're going to have a blast with your new DP-24. It's an awesome machine, and you can overdub all you want with no tape hiss :).

New threads

Members online