-mjk-

Staff member
From
Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Website
phoenixmediaforge.com
Gear owned
DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
Hello everyone! I'm a former record producer, broadcast and manufacturing engineer from the Boston area in northeastern USA. I've been living in Taiwan for the past 15 years, and I would like to introduce myself. I'm new to the Tascam forums, but absolutely not new to the recording industry.

I used to have keys to the largest recording studio in Boston. The owner allowed me to do whatever I wanted, and to this day, it's hard to to believe the wonderful privilege that was. I was his main music production engineer, and according to my date book, in 1986 I recorded 40 bands in that one year alone! Needless to say, I got used to being able to vent my creative juices in that facility.

Now that I'm in Taiwan, and some 2o years later, I'm putting a new studio together, based around the DP-32. As you know, it's not the machine, but the skill of the engineer and the performer that makes a record what it is.

Please forgive me, because I honestly feel like I'm bragging when I talk about my past, but I'm also a US national recording artist (and a BMI affiliated songwriter), on the US playlist back in the mid-90's. I took a break from music (I mean professional music production) for about 20 years. I am now setting up a the studio to record a new album. If one was curious about my past catalog, they could check out http://mjk.asia.

In particular, I would like to introduce myself to Mr. Phil Tipping. Mr. Tipping, I have been enjoying your series on YouTube, and I want to publicly thank you for taking the time to explain very important aspects of the DP-24/32 machines that otherwise would be difficult and painful to work with. Mr. Tipping, it's very clear to me that you are very much more than what you appear to be on YouTube, what with the subtle references to the old tape days, hehe. You sir, are a very valuable resource! I just hope the young guys get that. I need to mention, Mr. Tipping, that we have had a few exchanges on YouTube, as I've used both my "MJ Klein" and "TaiwanLiveTV" channels to leave messages. I apologize for any confusion!

I signed up for the Tascam Forums using my stage name of "mjk" but, please feel free to call me MJ as my friends do (surname Klein).

Mr. Tipping, I thought you might like to know that while I have a DP-32 (not the SD suffix), I also have a Teac Model 2A mixer, and an A-3340, and they are configured for "manly power" (as Brian May's guitar tech Pete Malandrone said) 220 volts. I would be happy to post some photos of that vintage gear if anyone is interested (I would not be opposed to giving that equipment a new home).

Lastly, I'd like to mention that (as I said at the outset) I live in Taiwan, but my wife and I run an 11 factory manufacturing consortium (http://asiancastings.com) and we do castings, and machined parts, plus we have many others irons in the fire. If you have some questions about Chinese gear, or need something translated, I invite you all to contact me directly. Also, since we are a small, family owned business, we can develop and manufacture new products on a tight budget (just file that for reference).

I'm really looking forward to participating in the Tascam Forums! Thanks you so much everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunny
Thank you so much, David!

MJ. its nice to see other media professionals in the forum.

I worked as a CMX/Avid editor at a few large post production facilities in the states for 35 years. (And an electric guitar player from 15 years old).

https://www.facebook.com/tom.daigon

Clients have included HBO, Ford, Acme/Jewel markets, FedEx and many others. Over the years I was surprised to see how many other musicians also had jobs in the video industry.

Now Im retired (64) and spend my days with bucket list fun (learning acoustic finger style guitar, exploring VR realms and doing animal rescue).

Phil's DP 24 videos are my guiding lights as I learn the system. And his DP 24 Users PDF is a real godsend as well.

Welcome!

Reactions: -mjk-
Welcome to the forum MJ and nice to hear your background story. You're too kind with the comments, but glad some of my 'old codger' ramblings were useful to you :) Agree 100% with your point about machine vs. skill. Wish you both every success with your many ventures and hope to hear how the studio progresses. Good luck.

MJ. its nice to see other media professionals in the forum.

I worked as a CMX/Avid editor at a few large post production facilities in the states for 35 years. (And an electric guitar player from 15 years old).

https://www.facebook.com/tom.daigon

Clients have included HBO, Ford, Acme/Jewel markets, FedEx and many others. Over the years I was surprised to see how many other musicians also had jobs in the video industry.

Now Im retired (64) and spend my days with bucket list fun (learning acoustic finger style guitar, exploring VR realms and doing animal rescue).

Phil's DP 24 videos are my guiding lights as I learn the system. And his DP 24 Users PDF is a real godsend as well.

Welcome!

thanks for the nice welcome, Tom! you've done some cool stuff! see you around....

Reactions: Lasvideo
Phil, thought you might like to see a very old shot of the 32x32 API i did most of my work on. 32 channels of the 550a EQs. digital photography in those days isn't what it is now!

Attachments

• Fltwo042.jpg
    Fltwo042.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Phil Tipping
Sounds and looks like you have "done a bit" to say the least , welcome to the forum mjk

Paul

Dunny, I've had a good run! Thanks.

New threads

Members online