New user totally lost PLEASE HELP

jon jon

i got this mx2424 off off ebay and it seems like everything powers up.
i'm in the biz 40 years so i know how things are supposed to work but i can not figure this thing out.
Im feeding it from the direct outs of my mixer to analog 17-24 via the analog inputs.
I get no meter movement on the level meters.
Also depending on what input mode button i push the level meter max out to the top yellow.
How do i even know if anything is armed for record, and yes i read all of the manuals online.
I don't think there is a hard drive in there so right now I'm trying to use it as a converter to feed my motu 24ao via the optical i/o.
Can someday please help cause i am totally lost.
Are there any videos on setting up and using this thing or some video demonstrating the basics.
I would be happy to pay via paypal for some phone conversation help.
Thanks

there is no hot swap drive in the front so how do i know if there is a drive inside.
?

If there is a drive inside it should mount when you switch on the MX, it will take a little time then the display will have a time display. To check if the drive did mount, unmount the drive again, if the drive was mounted the display will say "1 drive unmounted" if the drive did not mount the first time or there is no drive it will say something like "No Drive" or "already unmounted". The only sure way to check if there is a drive in there is to take the lid off, there could be a drive in there thats not plugged in?

We have an MX set up here to do exactly what you want to do, but if there is no drive the record buttons will not arm. With the drive mounted, pushing a track record button will result in a flashing red light on that track, this is all you need to pass audio through that track, however make sure that the "Auto input" is selected. Press: Shift > All Safe, the auto input light will come on when selected.

You also have to select the record inputs in Menu Bank 400 to receive the recording inputs from the analog card or the digital card.

I hope this gets you started in some way.
Alan.

hi thank you very much for responding
when i hit the mount button it says already unmounted
when i hit it again it says no new volumes mounted.
so i guess i must look inside, but i thought i read in one of the manuals that the se version does not have an internal drive.
Also why do all of the led meters max out yellow on startup. they go to the top peak and stay there. is it supposed to do that.
Thanks again sir!

When you hit the mount button it should say, "already mounted" if the drive mounted on startup. Or "no drive detected" (or something like that?) If there is no drive. If you try to unmount the drive and there is no drive, it will say, "Already Unmounted".

I think you are right about the SE having no internal drive, I think it had an 18gig drive in the bay instead of the standard 9gig internal drive. There was probably the connections inside for installing an internal drive as well. You can also connect a drive using the external connections on the rear with the drive mounted in a separate drive case.

Regarding the lights, it is common for the first few meters on the left to go full on startup but they usually drop back to 0 after a few moments. They are not supposed to go to peak and stay there. While the lights are peaked can you access any menu items?

It may be time to talk to the seller about where the drive and the bay is as it should have come with the MX, and also did this MX actually operate correctly? Was it cheap? There are loads of MX's on the net for sale.

Alan.

well i got it on ebay for $150.
I guess the only thing to do now is open it up and probably install an internal drive if that is at all possible.
The ext drives seem pretty expensive. while all of this is happening I've got work to do and still no input converters for my motu 24ao.
Ahhhgggghhh!!
Thanks i will keep u informed!

I would try the drive install first, it may solve the problems, also while you have the lid off, check the connections on the power supply, another source of issues.

Alan.

No, You need 68 pin drives, those are 80 pin.

Also the drive size will want to be 9, 18, 36 or 72 gig. Larger drives were not around when the MX was made so the MX can't see them.

Seagate drives with models numbers ending in LW are 68pin drives.

These are the original Tascam requirements, most 68 pin scsi drives will be better than required:

• SCSI Interface: 68-pin wide single-ended or LVD
  • RPM: 7200 or faster
  • Seek Time: 8.5ms or faster
  • Internal Formatted Transfer Rate: 17 – 30 MB/sec or faster

Please note that the above specifications are minimum requirements for normal operation of the MX-2424. While many current drives far exceed these requirements, there is no performance improvement gained.

However, due to hard drive firmware development undertaken by drive manufacturers which is beyond our control, we cannot guarantee any specific drive’s compatibility.

hey thank you very much for all of your help.
I will look for 68 pin lw drives.
What a pain in the neck.
The guy who sold it to me put all stripped screws in the lid and i can even get the darn thing off.
Man i can't win. LOL!!

I suggest starting all over again. Keep the unit you spent $150 on for spare parts if you can't get a refund and buy another working unit. Stripped screws, no drive?? After you get a hard drive what else will you find that doesn't work? I see you going down a rabbit hole and wasting time and more money. Look for a working unit which will cost more..

hey guys.
A guy came over to buy a teac 3440 reel that i was selling.
come to find out he was a pro audio repair tech.
I told him 5 ppl had tried to open the mx2424 but they all failed and gave up.
This guy was able to do it in 2 minutes.
he looked inside and said that it looks ok just very dusty.
There was no drive inside.
Other than the front drive tray i do not see how to install an internal drive in there.
I don't see and power plug for a drive and no scsi port cabling for an internal drive.
So can the se model that i have support a internal drive or do i have to use the front loading slot and the rear drive port.
Thanks

Whoever took out the drive pulled the mounting tray and cable out as well, Dick Heads, Pull the power cable out the back of the front dock bay and use that to power the drive. You also need a SCSI internal 68 pin cable from an old computer setup, these are everywhere on ebay, and adapt an old drive mounting frame from an old PC to mount it. You may also need an active terminator. I have attached the docs about the SCSI setup which might help.

Alan.

Attachments

• MX_SCSI_2_1.pdf
    866.3 KB · Views: 6
hey guys i'm still at it with this thing and still have no clue.
I just hooked up the avid external drive that i got from the guy on ebay.
I changed the scsi id on the drive to 1 and hooked it up to the back of the mx2424.

some how i got tom the initialize screen - 710 and i heard some clicks on the scsi drive after i hit yes.
But i thought i was supposed to format it so i tried pg 711 format but it only shows scsi id 0.
either way I'm getting red record sel lights.
is that a good thing.
am i at least going in the right direction.
Thanks

Can somebody please tell me how to get this thing to receive toslink from thru the mx2424 Adat card.
Nothing in the menus about toslink only aes/ebu and spdif.
Thanks

TOSlink is simply the optical connector that's used to transfer S/PDIF format audio. So you should be looking for S/PDIF (optical).

TOSlink is simply the optical connector that's used to transfer S/PDIF format audio. So you should be looking for S/PDIF (optical).
Toslink cables are also used for ADAT connections, although is was originally for what was basically Toshiba's version of SPdif. Toslink =Toshiba link. SPdif + Sony Phillips digital interface. Alesis came along and used the Toslink cable for their ADAT lightpipe format, presumably becuase they were a cheap & already exisiting format.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.