Outside mastering gear on the stereo and surround busses

Tejo

From
Netherlands
Gear owned
DM 4800
I want to use outside mastering gear on the stereo bus and when needed on the surround busses. I search for the routing but couldn't find or make the connection on the stereo bus. My question. Is there a special way to make the routing to the stereo bus that I forgot to search for? How can I use the outside gear on the surround busses?

Thank you for your answers.

Tejo

@Tejo I am no expert but, I believe that you can use the assignable sends. Here is an excerpt from the owner's manual.

External effects can be looped through the assignable
analog sends and returns (the returns can then be
assigned to channels), or kept in the digital domain
by using the stereo digital I/O facilities.

Reactions: Tejo
Hi Peter,
Thank you for your help. I don't know if this is the solution. What I want to create is to have a mix of different channels direct to the mastering gear and then return direct to the stereo bus. With the send and return you add an effect to the sound of the mix and you get all the channels with the effect to the stereo bus.

@Tejo Unfortunately, I have not worked with my DM long enough to appropriately assist you. And, I wouldn't want to mislead you. If I had to guess though, I would think that the answer might lie in the routing. But of course, I could be wrong. Be patient. I am sure that one of gurus can help you with your question. Good Luck!

What I want to create is to have a mix of different channels direct to the mastering gear and then return direct to the stereo bus. With the send and return you add an effect to the sound of the mix and you get all the channels with the effect to the stereo bus.
Don't confuse assignable sends and returns with AUX in this mixer. The send and returns (ASN SEND & RTN) are simply a way to go out to your mastering gear and then back in. Peter is essentially right, but you simply don't send any channels to the stereo bus (the Stereo button on the Output Assign section off) but send them to bus channels (at the same location). Then send the bussed channels to ASN SNDs, through mastering gear, back in to the ASN RTN and connect these to the Stereo Out. Voilà!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Phew! Thanks for helping out here @Arjan P. Much appreciated.

New threads

Members online