Patching and routing in the studio (banging head against wall)

Thanks, I think I just might get the massage. I have about 8 hours in so far. I probably have another hour or so. When you say time code master are you referring to the transport time code or clock? I used my focusrite as the clock for a long time. Just takes two ADAT cables.

MMC/MTC for transport. According to the manual the DM can be a digital clock master or slave. However, when I tried to slave it to an old MOTU 2408, both using the ADAT port and TDIF port, I had little luck. I also tried word clock without success.

Key is using 2 ADAT cables in and out and also you can only do 44.1 or 48. 88 and 96 did not work for me. I'm not 100 percent on the motu, I've used them but never set them up minus ADAT linking 2 together. But from what I remember you had to push the button on the front of the motu selecting internal clock. Also motu clock reference MUST be turned on first, then secondary unit. I wanted to beat my head against the wall for 3 hours before figuring that one out. Turn on motu then wait till clock sets and locks then turn on secondary unit and set it to ADAT clock. Another note, make sure monitors are off because they will go bananas if you are monitoring from secondary unit. Hope this helps

Rick

@Labrynth Hey Rick, I had to delete your pics because they were enormously large, and our server's SSD is not big enough to collect JPGs in full resolution. We do have a warning about file size for pics in the Gallery section. You may upload them in reduced size if you'd like (around 150KB max per pic). Sorry about that.

Rick is correct. You have to set one unit to be the master and the other to be the slave unit. You can't just change the clock source on the DM without also changing the 2408's clock to either internal or external.

I have a 2408MK3, and I've had no problems setting it up to be either one, along side the DM. If your 2408 is the original unit, I think you are limited to 44.1 and 44.8. I think SMux did not come into being until after the MKI was made. If you have an MK3, you can do 88.2 or 96K over ADAT or TDIF (Not sure about the MK2, but a quick Google search should answer that question). The unit will utilize the SMux protocol, disabling every other channel. You don't need a BNC word clock cable for this, as the ADAT and TDIF have the clock signal embedded. For 8 channels over ADAT at 44.1/48, you will be limited to 4 channels at 88.2/96. This works fine with the DM, and is exactly how I have mine setup now.

Key is using 2 ADAT cables in and out and also you can only do 44.1 or 48. 88 and 96 did not work for me. I'm not 100 percent on the motu, I've used them but never set them up minus ADAT linking 2 together. But from what I remember you had to push the button on the front of the motu selecting internal clock. Also motu clock reference MUST be turned on first, then secondary unit. I wanted to beat my head against the wall for 3 hours before figuring that one out. Turn on motu then wait till clock sets and locks then turn on secondary unit and set it to ADAT clock. Another note, make sure monitors are off because they will go bananas if you are monitoring from secondary unit. Hope this helps

Rick

I gave up on it and now that we have the Fire Wire card, it is a bit of a moot point. The odd thing that I recall is that we heard audio (playing cleanly) through the MOTU's headphone jack. When we heard any audio through the DM, it was just clocking noise. For some reason we could not get the DM and the MOTU to lock with any stability or hearing any audio from the DM.

I may revisit the issue in the future. I'm going to start simple and see if I can clock a DAT machine to the DM.

I can't just let you give up. I have a 2408. I have it clocked to the DM, although I can also clock the DM to the 2408. I will be glad to write a step by step to get this working for you if you are still interested.

I have some interest in doing it, though I was planning on removing the MOTU card from my system since I now use primarily the Lynx Aurora 8. With the Lynx its 8 analog I/O with another 8 channels available through AES/EBU connections. I'm leaving for a business trip tomorrow and the painters are supposed to be starting tomorrow or Wednesday. But perhaps next week or so when after I get the AES/EBU snake, you can give me those steps.

let me know...

So a blow last night. I fired up the boards and my master boards screen is unreadable. I also unplugged my firewire cable from the Mac on accident and now Mac won't go past loading screen. I open in a week!!!

Wow, that sucks. First thing I would do is remove the firewire card(s) from the mixers and then reboot them to see if your screens return on the boards. Then re-install the cards. Hopefully the boards will recognize the cards. However, it is very important that you do not attach the firewire cables to your computer until after you install the drivers on your Mac.

As to the Mac itself, I'm more of a PC guy so I'm not sure if this trick works for Mac. However, if I'm unable to boot into Windows, I will often disconnect any external gear -- audio interfaces, dongles, drives, etc., and I can usually boot successfully afterward. This almost always works. If that doesn't work, try removing any "extra" cards from the motherboard -- UAD cards, if you use them, PT HD cards, whatever.

After much research the "lines" across the dm3200/4800 is a super common problem. I have 2 boards so I wonder if I can do all my routing through the slave or if it has to be done through the master? I'm going back to the studio tonight. Hopefully it will just fire up so I can try routing through the slave board

I'm not sure. I only work with a single 3200. However, I remember reading recently in the firewire card manual about only one card can be recognized by the host computer. Hopefully someone here with a two board setup can help out. Also, I believe that the 3200/4800 are finicky about the slots to install the card in. One the 4800, I believe it works only in slots 1 and 3.

I would assume that you should be able to route internally any signal from one board to anywhere on the other. Otherwise, why have them cascade together in the first place. There may be some both board setups on YouTube too for you to check out.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what happens. Is the Mac up and running?

After much research the "lines" across the dm3200/4800 is a super common problem.
That's true, and I'm also victim to it, but AFAIK this is a very slow process: 1 line, 3 lines a couple weeks later to maybe 25 after more than a year (that's about where I am - replacement ready to be picked up).

In your case it seems it went from OK to unreadable? That's a new scenario, and maybe something else is going on in your board. Brightness control maybe? Is that still functioning?

If it comes to it, Tascam was pretty quick about sending me a new display screen when I requested one. Like Arjan said, it was along period of time for the lines to build up to the point where I didn't want to deal with them anymore. It was NOT an overnight thing.

My boards were in climate controlled storage for about a year so I'm not sure if over time can happen when it's not in use. My friend came out to the studio and fixed the Mac though(whew!) it was a permission issue. Had to boot from disc and run utilities diagnostics and repair. Works great now. Then of course I left my ilok at the house so I couldn't play with routing in PT. But he also made the slave the master so hopefully I can do all my routing through it until I can get another display. Going back out tonight. I'll keep you guys posted

My boards were in climate controlled storage for about a year so I'm not sure if over time can happen when it's not in use. My friend came out to the studio and fixed the Mac though(whew!) it was a permission issue. Had to boot from disc and run utilities diagnostics and repair. Works great now. Then of course I left my ilok at the house so I couldn't play with routing in PT. But he also made the slave the master so hopefully I can do all my routing through it until I can get another display. Going back out tonight. I'll keep you guys posted

Good to hear that your Mac is functional again. But I don't understand...your screen on the board you were using as a master was illegible but the other was OK? And you're suppose to open your studio next week, right? Geez, lots of pressure.

The painters are supposed to finish our place tonight and we've got sessions scheduled for tomorrow and Sunday. I'll post a couple of pictures. Next thing on the agenda is sound treatment but at least we can work.

That's a good question - you're in an elite group with 2 cascaded DMs..... I'm guessing (guessing that is) that it would be in the routing panel of your master DM and the the slave DM I/O would be listed in the source select table..... If you're going over firewire to your DAW you will probably be constrained to 32 tracks maximum anyway.

Looking forward to reading the real answer :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.