Please advise...input to stereo bus

Bob Oosterbaan

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32SD
Hi,

I want to setup my DP32sd for recording my band and using 6 mono channels (A, B, C, D, E, F) and 1 stereo channel (G, H). I have assigned A.....F to track to 1 to 6 and G, H to 9-10 (stereo is selected) and I want to send them also to my stereo bus (to hear what's going on), so I have assigned all channels to the stereo bus. This is working fine, BUT the stereo channels (G, H) become mono in the headset. Is there a way to send those two channels as stereo to the stereo bus?

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob, all inputs are mono so it depends how you use them as to whether or not you get a stereo output. When you assign inputs to the stereo bus, you control how much of each mono input is fed to the left & right sides of the bus by using their Input Pan controls, i.e. select an Input/Source, then turn the Pan knob. In your case, set G fully left and H fully right. You can open the Mixer screen if you want a permanent display of the pan setting, but it's not mandatory.
Conversely, when you assign a pair of inputs to a stereo track, the left/right routing is done automatically, so there is no need to pan anything. This applies whether you're monitoring the stereo track before recording (i.e. when they are armed), or when playing back the stereo track. Note you could get a sound in your monitor from the inputs assigned to the stereo bus and the track (because this is automatically routed to the bus) if you've assigned the inputs to both paths.
There's a lot of confusion and mis-information about panning & stereo so hope this helps.

Hi Phil,

Thanks....your answer helped a lot. I was using the PAN left/right button, but on the "track" instead of the input channel. Now put the G to the left and H to the right and I have stereo on the stereobus now.

Keep up the good work Phil :)

Bob

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online