Porta 05 tape gets stuck and then the machine makes a loud high pitched noise

Robbert Meijer

Website
www.facebook.com
Gear owned
Tascam porta 05
Hello my fellow tascam-owners!

I bought a porta 05 mini-studio from the dutch equivelant of Ebay ''Marktplaats'' and everything kinda seemed to work alright except that the porta seemed to produce a quite low humming noise while i was using it. but when i tried to rewind the tape like i did a couple times before it seemed to get stuck and then the machine made a loud high pitched noise ''not trough the headphones the actual machine itself did that'' i googled it but couldn't figure out for the life of me what the problem was.
i tried it again after that with the same result. is anyone here familiar with this problem? i should say that i'm not a very technical man this is the first classic 4-track that i own.

Hi, and welcome! First suspect would be the tape itself. Take it out and see whether you can easily turn one spool with a pencil or similar. If that goes smooth, it looks like something mechanical.. Does playback work OK?

Hello Arjen!

Playback seems to be pretty reliable i had the feeling that there was some slowdown here and there but nothing Major. "Might Have been the Super sensitive pitch control" i'll try the pencil-trick for sure! I'm not sure if i Have another high bias cassette laying around is it possible to use a normal bias one? Also.. the Sound was really quite loud "my phone clocked it at 96db" is it really possible that one jammed cassette causes such a racket?

Wow, that IS loud, 96 dB! And normal bias tape works for sure, it's simply not optimized for the device. But especially for testing purposes it should be fine..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.