Veteran
Gear owned
DP 24 ,DP-02, Model 12,
Does the Tascam DP 24/32 SD fit these definition of DAW:?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation
or
http://www.thefullwiki.org/Digital_audio_workstation

Is it a hardware DAW or a simply a multitrack recorder:rolleyes:

Can't we use external hardware with aux send capability in the same way that software daws use plug-ins:geek:

From where I stand Portastudio was one of the original DAWS and remains one of the most reliable, flexible and affordable digital audio workstations you can buy:ugeek:

Is there something that disqualifies Portastudio as a DAW?

Let me know....

Well, semantics in most cases.. But AFAIK the Portastudios used analog compact cassettes, so that disqualifies it as a digital audio workstation.

Of course Arjan P you do know that Tascam DP 24 SD and Tascam DP 32 SD are both Digital Portastudios right?

https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-24sd/top

To really put things in context, the real argument is not Tascam Portastudios vs DAWs , but rather Hardware Integrated DAW vs Software integrated DAWs. Software DAWs are supplemented by all kinds of software plugins. Hardware DAWs (i.e. Tascam Portastudio) are supplemented by inserting hardware devices into the aux send-return loops

There use to be arguments about the space that old analog devices would take up, or the cost of some of these classic devices, but the newer digital counterparts, are considerably smaller, with more functionality, and far more affordable and flexible. Not to mention the myriad of hybrid digital processing devices out there.

Obviously, the point I'm getting at here is that the Tascam DP 24 or 32 can legitimately be at the center of a serious recording studio, and it can be extended by any kind of DSPs, effects hardware, that is desired. Using Effect Send 2, makes the Tascam DP an open system capable of adding whatever hardware that is necessary.

There are folks that are totally committed to the software DAW ecosystem, and that's okay. But to be clear there are also hardware DAW ecosystems that are just as valid, and some might argue even more valid.

If Tascam were to add an HDMI out to the Tascam DPs so that folks could connect a monitor to the unit , the Tascam DPs would quickly displace many software DAW workflows in home recording studios:LOL:

Well, you said "From where I stand Portastudio was one of the original DAWS" which I read as being about the original.

Sure you can call a hardware machine a DAW but you won't make yourself understood any easier. The meaning of a word is usually defined by what most people consider it to be, not what the abbreviation literally stands for.

Anyway, I also come from a hardware all-in-one recorder (Akai DPS-16) and have made fantastic recordings with it, also using outboard effects. But the reason for me to go to software is the immense and limitless flexibility it offers. I have not looked back since.

Reactions: -mjk-
But the reason for me to go to software is the immense and limitless flexibility it offers. I have not looked back since.

But you do have a console, @Arjan P and that of course is a tremendous advantage.

I actually do not like the term "audio workstation" digital or otherwise. I think of it as a music workstation. Otherwise, it could be a cockpit recorder :D.

@-mjk- True, I am glad I have the combo of software and the Tascam DM3200, but I'd still stay in software if I could only use it with a controller.

And though a cockpit voice recorder is also a 4-track recorder that records (digital) audio, I don't think 'workstation' would be correct there.. :LOL:

Reactions: -mjk-
One of the positive benefits of a forum like this is that it can be used to help educate, clarify and inform.

There is often confusion about what a DAW is , what it does, and whether you need one to supplement Tascam portastudios. Here we have the opportunity to help clarify the term DAW and other terminology such as:

• Digital Recorder
  • Music Production Workstation
  • Music Workstation
  • Digital Audio,
  • Portastudio
  • Multi-track recorder
  • VST,
  • Plug-in

For some of us that have been doing this for a while, its clear what each of these terms mean and how they relate to the Tascam DP series. But for some folks all of this is new and its not clear what is what. So if we get a new owner of a Tascam DP portastudio that is not quite clear about its capabilities or limitations relative to some of this terminology , the forum can be used to help educate and clarify, hence my posting of a couple of links describing the origins of the acronym DAW and what it refers to and whether it applies to the Tascam DP 24/32 SDs.

I personally prefer the term Portastudio when referring to my Tascam. But I also happen to know it is fully capable of recording, editing, and processing digital audio and that a separate Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) is not necessary but rather optional. But not every customer or potential customer for the Tascam DP knows that. There is an opportunity on this forum to help educate and clarify things for those who come to the forum with questions:ugeek:

Reactions: David Porter
Since Portastudio is a brand and only still used for marketing reasons (or to confuse those who immediately think about the original cassette one ;-)) it can not be applied to other similar devices. That makes it confusing and therefor I used the term hardware all-in-one recorder - Akai did not make a Portastudio but a DPS: Digital Personal Studio. Nice, huh?

Reactions: -mjk- and lastmonk

New threads

Members online

No members online now.