Presonus Studio One With The DM-3200

This really is just a guess. But, if your encoders are set to "fine" (meaning turning and turning the knob only moves the led a little bit), you can set them to "Coarse" (meaning small knob turns move the LED very quickly) by going to ALT/OPTION/Then look for ENCODER OPERATION. Choices are "1 STEP" or "COARSE". Any questions, look in the DM 4800 manual, page 26, or search ENCODER OPERATION.

Every manufacture of Midi units has different translations.

Small correction: every modern manufacturer follows the General MIDI protocol (GM). This is a universal notation format incorporating 128 'steps', correlating keyboard pitch names with standardized instruments. If a keyboard is generating GM, the triggered element will respond with the same instrument any other MIDI device would trigger if it, too, is set to send/receive using GM.

However, individual software applications may feature elements that don't trigger GM instruments. And that's a very good thing. I'd hate to have my Native Instruments Session Strings spit out Big/Drum/'Verb/Snare/Metal whenever I hit key #G2. :) The good news is, any MIDI part can be easily transposed to a different 'key step' for the desired results. It's just a matter of HighLighting the part in a MIDI editor and moving it to a different notation 'key signature.'

If you're sequencing a keyboard part using a Roland, and its octave range is set to 'Normal,' the resulting arrangement should be reproduced EXACTLY the same way on a Yamaha, Kurzweil, or Korg keyboard (or any MIDI virtual instrument keyboard). But if the MIDI notes were printed from a keyboard using an alternate octave setting, the same results cannot be expected. This is also true if a MIDI keyboard part is dumped into a 'Brass Band' VST. You'll hear the brass, but it'll probably sound more like a body part rhyming with it. :LOL:

MMControl, HUI, and its emulation modes are different standardized flavors of MIDI, intended for a different purpose.

CaptDan

Yes, you right about that. But If you take a Piano Midi file that was recorded on a Roland keyboard and play the Midi file on a Korg the the Volumes of the notes are different. e.g Roland Vol. 120 is on Korg 118 or 121. Mostly +/- 1-3 Steps. Specially todays keyboards have dsp sound processing so the dsp calculates the best volume for that specific note, what causes sometimes different volumes, modulations and other values. Back in the days when i was programming Midi Files, (my company was the largest provider of midi files back then and before Internet). We programmed on Atari connected on a Roland Sound Canvas. Later we used PC's. But even back in the 80's and 90's, You had to adjust the midi file for your keyboard or sound module if it was not Roland, even back we had General Midi.

So what you're saying is the velocities don't remain when these files are interchanged? That sucks. :)

But then again, and I wasn't thinking about this, if DSP is a component of the MIDI playback, then it's almost not MIDI but some, for lack of better way of putting it, 'modelling.'

Since I do my own MIDI work, using the same controller and essentially the same battery of plug ins and synth patches, I hadn't really faced this issue. So I learned something.

I worked with a drummer way back who did pre production on an Atari and whatever Cubase's ancestor was. It all worked pretty well, but I don't recall if Roland was involved.

CaptDan

New threads

Members online