Problems with "select" buttons

BRADEL Christophe

Gear owned
DP32SD
Hello everyone,

I am the user of a DP32sd that I bought new in 2019.
I have a problem with the tracks selection buttons, those that are called "select" and light up green when used.

Many of them no longer work very well. When I want to select a track, instead of a short, light press, I have to press longer so that the track is selected. This problem also appeared quickly, after a few months of use. Of course I use the device with the greatest care, I am one of those musicians who take care of their equipment.

Thus the select button of track 31/32 no longer works at all, so I can no longer make adjustments with the "mixer" menu on these tracks.
I tried to solve this problem by using a "contact" spray supposed to improve the quality of electrical contacts, but it did not work.
I sent an email to info@arbiterfrance.com which is a company that manages Tascam products in France, but I didn't get a response
Can you tell me what should I do?

Thank you and wish you a very good day.

Best regards,

This problem seems to be universal - to the DP's, and I've experienced it on a couple of buttons on my 2488neo. It seems to be issues with the little microswitches under the plastic button-body being sticky, dirty, worn, whatever.
Even my mint-condition OG DP32 has a couple that act like that.

The usual advice is to use contact cleaner/spray, preferably something high-quality like DeOxit.
Since I've had this problem myself, I've read every post I can find on it. There's some who say they got some spray into the switch and it cleared up the problem, and they never had it again.
There's others who say it had no effect - which I suspect MIGHT be because they simply couldn't/didn't get the spray into the switch assembly...it seems like it'd be VERY hard to get spray into the switch mechanism, considering it's completely covered by the plastic button. Even opening up the unit (a pretty major undertaking) is no guarantee of getting at it.

SO: if anyone reading this thread has positive outcomes of that solution and would like to share instructions, advice, yada...;)

Reactions: David Porter
Christophe, you may have been hesitant to spray enough of that contact cleaner into the buttons to make a difference. Since I assume that you didn't open the unit so any spray has to make it's way into the button by dripping down from the front panel opening. It can take quite a bit to get in there and then you should immediately press the button to work the solution into the contacts. I had to spray my used DP-32 with copious amounts of liquid before it had the desired effect.

Reactions: shredd
No, it surely won't help FIX this problem....

But I always cover mine with a tight-weave fabric when it's not in use, and I'm sure that will help prevent it.

If I use it for 20 hours in one week, that means that for the other 148 hours -- or 7.4X as long -- there isn't any dust getting into those small switches.

I have to believe I'll get a lot more useful life out of my DP this way.

7.4 times ? ? ? We will see!

Old No7

Reactions: dctdct and Logrinn
I've always protected my DP32sd with a good fabric when I'm not using it.
Thank you MJK, I'll try to put more product, I trust you!;)
Thanks you all for your advices.:)

Attachments

• upload_2023-5-2_19-9-40.png
    upload_2023-5-2_19-9-40.png
    312 bytes · Views: 6
Reactions: dctdct
A big big big thank you thank you very much to all of you and especially to you MJK, because you insisted, and told me that I hesitated, and you were right! I tried again, and this time I sprayed A LOT of product (KF F2 Special Contacts, from KFsolution.fr)...and it worked!! :)

I did as you advised MJK, spraying on the product and pressing the select button while the device was on.;) Thank you, I was really sad about these problems, because these were tracks that were unusable for me.

Thanks again, and now you will know that MJK was right, if you have this kind of problem, just spray a lot of product to force the contact back. :)
See you soon !

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P
I did as you advised MJK ...pressing the select button while the device was on
What mj advised was "...immediately press the button to work the solution into the contacts..."

Glad you got it working again, but it's probably not a good idea to apply contact cleaner when the device is powered up.

I'm not familiar with the product you used, but DeOxit instructions advise applying with the device powered off, rapidly working the contact switch/button several times after application, then waiting a few minutes before turning on the device to assess the result.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Stew71

New threads

Members online

No members online now.