PT HD 11 with DM3200

kei_siuip

Gear owned
DM3200
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm using macpro, OS 10.9, with Protools HD 11 and DM3200, with IF-FW/DM mkII.
I have successfully set up the remote function between PT11 and DM3200, with USB connected.
However, if I plug any other harddrives with fire wire (400 and 800) for my mac, then when I start up PT 11, my PT can't recognize the IF-FW/DM mkII from DM3200. How can I solve this problem?

Hi,

How are you DM / drives connected to your mac?

fwiw I have the DM f/w (400) going into a f/w HD (800) then from that HD to the mac via f/w over thunderbolt and it functions well, but I don't have multiple f/w HDs.

I connect my DM from f/w 400 to f/w 800 of the back panel of my MACPRO.
If I connect any external f/w harddrive to my mac, both 400/800, my PT will not recognize my IF-FW/DM mkII. But the remote function of DM3200 still works

But the remote function of DM3200 still works

Again, DM remote/machine control/TMC functions are sent/received over USB - NOT Firewire. Your IF-FW/DM MkII can be dysfunctional with regard to drivers between the DM and DAW, but your USB/MIDI connections can STILL operate normally.

Some people get confused, because the IF-FW/DM mkII card features a MIDI port which serves as an additional MIDI pathway for instruments, triggers, data, etc. In this case, MIDI data is communicated over a separate pathway in the Firewire interface, which has nothing at all to do with passing audio signals.

To repeat: Communications = USB and/or MIDI.
..................Audio (binary wave data) = Firewire/IE1394

CaptDan

But the remote function of DM3200 still works

Again, DM remote/machine control/TMC functions are sent/received over USB - NOT Firewire. Your IF-FW/DM MkII can be dysfunctional with regard to drivers between the DM and DAW, but your USB/MIDI connections can STILL operate normally.

Some people get confused, because the IF-FW/DM mkII card features a MIDI port which serves as an additional MIDI pathway for instruments, triggers, data, etc. In this case, MIDI data is communicated over a separate pathway in the Firewire interface, which has nothing at all to do with passing audio signals.

To repeat: Communications = USB and/or MIDI.
..................Audio (binary wave data) = Firewire/IE1394

CaptDan
I understand.
But why other FW drives kill the connection within DM3200 and PT??

Simple: The ASIO flavor of Ptools will only play nice with one ASIO device at a time. If you add another IE1394 device, Ptools thinks you're trying to pull a fast one, and drops coms altogether. Only way to resume operation: unplug the conflict and reboot. Best way I can explain it. :)

All that said, there MIGHT be a way to work around this, but I'm not aware of it at this time. Perhaps, 'Jamsire' - who's forgotten more about PT than I'll ever learn - might know.

CaptDan

I haven't forgotten a thing!!

I had to read it over again to get it. Sometimes the MENSA man slips.......!

New threads

Staff online

Members online