Recording live event w/ DP24sd

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Hello everyone
The last 1.5 months have been an extraordinary learning curve for me with the DP24sd. My fear of destroying perfectly good recordings was preventing me from digging in and actually letting the machine do it's thing. I was forced to bounce, cut/paste, edit and mix (I farmed out the mastering) due to customer need, but with the assistance of MJk, David Porter, and of course Phil Tipping, and others I conquered that fear and delivered my project to a very satisfied customer. So a big thank you to everyone.

NOW something new. I'm to be my own customer with this one. I want to use the 24 in my own performance coming up this weekend, and I'd like to use it not to just record, but also as my sound system. So a couple Q's
(1) Since it's a small venue I think my studio monitors will be sufficient, but I have a small behringer x1204 usb 15585380002116206252905441300612.jpg mixer with interface, and I was wondering if I could run it through the 24 with 1 pair of monitors plugged into the 24, and a 2nd pair into the mixer. The mixer has it's own fx. The mixer and monitors would do fine, but I want to record the performance in a direct fashion. So here's a couple pics of the mixer. I don't know if this is a reasonable expectation of the 24 or not, but it functions so well when I just hook up and play that I thought it be cool. Also it's lighter than amps, stage monitors etc!, So less overall work. Thank you in advance, and please go easy on me

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_081304356.jpg
    IMG_20190522_081304356.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2
hi Bravo. Sure, the DP will record whatever you put into it, and you can do 8 tracks at at time. So, why not bring the mixer into a stereo pair and record it? You can also record room mics and whatever else you want at the same time. Maybe a bass DI too.

Hey thanks for replying. Obviously I have some questions. I've never ran an external device into the 24. Do I treat the mixer as an external fx device, or just an in line instrument through the inputs. Do I use xlr, or 1/4". The back of my mixer has 2 xlr main outs, 2 1/4" control room outs, and 2 1/4" alternate outs for adding additional gear. Do my first set of monitors go into the tascam, or the mixers monitor u
inputs, and how about the 2nd set. I was thinking maybe 2 monitors in
mixer and 2 in the 24, but hey I'm totally 100% green on this.

Bravo, line out to line in. I'd use the alt outs on the mixer. As for "monitors" - studio monitors from the Tascam. If you mean musician's monitors, that's out of scope of this discussion.

Edit: apparently you mean 2 sets of studio monitors. I'd put the second set on the stereo out of the Tascam.

Last edited:
... Do I use xlr, or 1/4". The back of my mixer has 2 xlr main outs, 2 1/4" control room outs, and 2 1/4" alternate outs for adding additional gear....
Use 1/4" at the Tascam end; these are for line signals, whereas the XLR inputs are for low-level mic signals. So either use XLR-to-1/4" cables from the mixer main outs, or 1/4"-to-1/4" from the others (ideally use TRS for the 1/4" jacks to keep things balanced). Set the trim to 1 o'clock (unity gain) and adjust output levels from the mixer end. Only move the trim as a last resort.

Reactions: -mjk-
Bravo, to follow up on Phil's post, if you're interested in learning more, there's an in-depth discussion in the Equipment Tips sticky on the "in and out" of connecting outboard gear.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.