Recording Roland V-Drums - Stereo vs. Mono

Joel Pixton

Gear owned
Tascam DP-01
I am using a Tascam TD-01 Portastudio and Roland V-Drums.

I'll first explain what I'm trying to achieve and then pose my question:

I want to record my V-drums in stereo while simultaneously recording a "whistle" scratch track with a microphone. I enjoy humming or whistling a 'melody' while I play my drums. This helps me develop a recorded drum track with a rough melody to play with afterwards.

The problem is -- the input mode on my Tascam DP-01 has only two inputs and two options for recording:

* MONO x 2 - Signal from input A and input B are both sent to center of monitoring stage.
* STEREO - Signal from A is sent to left and input B to the right of monitoring stage forming a stereo pair.

My V-Drums have MASTER OUTPUT jacks for both left and right to record in stereo and I am EXTREMELY PLEASED with the Portastudio's ability to capture the drums in stereo when using STEREO input mode.

However, and this is where I'll share my ignorance with recording:

I am wondering if I can use a "2x mono to TRS stereo 'Y' splitter cable" to record my drums in Stereo. Basically: 2x Mono from the MASTER OUPUT jacks of my V-Drums to TRS stereo jack into a single input channel of my TASCAM DP-01 Portastudio?

My intuition says NO, because I have a feeling both input A and Input B are designated Mono channels by themselves. Which would mean that even if I split the two MASTER OUTPUTS on my V-Drums into a single stereo TRS jack and plugged it into INPUT A, or INPUT B - they both by themselves would send the mix to center of monitors.

If anyone can help me confirm or deny this, I would greatly appreciate it. Any and all input or feedback is 100% appreciated!

Joel

Using a Y cable as you pointed out will create a mono track. The only way to do what you posted is - Record drums in stereo then add scratch track. Or, record drums in mono with scratch track at the same time. Or, use a external mixer.

Reactions: Joel Pixton
Using a Y cable as you pointed out will create a mono track. The only way to do what you posted is - Record drums in stereo then add scratch track. Or, record drums in mono with scratch track at the same time. Or, use a external mixer.

Thanks a bunch for confirming this. It looks like mono V-Drums and a scratch track are my only simultaneous options with the DP-01.

When you suggest using an external mixer -- how would that work to achieve a simultaneous recording of stereo drums and a scratch track?

When you suggest using an external mixer -- how would that work to achieve a simultaneous recording of stereo drums and a scratch track?

An external mixer would give you more inputs. You could connect the drums to the mixer (pan them hard left/right on the mixer) add a mic for the scratch track (pan center on the mixer) and connect the stereo outputs from the mixer to the inputs of your recorder. The problem with this is you would have to buy another piece of equipment that may cost as much as your recorder.

An external mixer would give you more inputs. You could connect the drums to the mixer (pan them hard left/right on the mixer) add a mic for the scratch track (pan center on the mixer) and connect the stereo outputs from the mixer to the inputs of your recorder.

Thanks again. This makes perfect sense.

I'm curious, though -- if I used a mixer to pan the drums hard left/right and pan a scratch microphone ''whistle'' track to center, and used the stereo outputs from mixer into the STEREO Input mode on my DP-01 Portastudio -- how would I be able to separate the 'scratch' track from the recorded stereo V-drums?

You could not separate the tracks. I just mentioned it as a way to do what you wanted.

I think your best option is mono drums and scratch vocal - then each will be on a separate track.

New threads

Members online