remote layer

I was thinking if I had my Alesis HD 24 hooked up for recording and playing back, but didn't have the right cables for the timecode. :)

If the HD24 sends SMPTE, there's a BNC/coaxial cable that'll connect up swimmingly with your DM. Talking about - maybe - $14.99 US - maybe less - possibly more ......if it's made of Gen-U-Ine 24kt Certified Gold(tm) 'Monster Mash.' :)

CaptDan

great thread fellas, but here is a question, I am running timecode from the DM to control SonarX2, But,,,,,,,,, when I hit the play button on the DM, it starts reading timecode and the meter bridge just fine, yet Sonar takes awhile to catch up on its timecode, should I be using SMPTE or MTC ? just a tad confused. it doesnt seem to have instant lockup ?? thanks for any help

If you're experiencing TMC lag, it could be due to any/all of the following:

1. 'Freewheel' too short. This adjustment appears in the DM's automation menu, and (hopefully since I know from Sonar like a hole in the ground) in the X2 [device/preferences/setup, etc] menu. Try increasing to '16' or '32'

2. USB conflict or malfunction. There could be another device on the TMC/MIDI3 port interrupting coms between your DM and X2. MIDI3 is the default TMC portal.

3. Conflict in your DM's MIDI 'plumbing.' Open up the DM's MIDI menu - the one that looks like a miniature 'Rube Goldberg' plumbing schematic. Could be one of the 'circuits' isn't connected.

4. (Should probably be #1) - which MIDI plug are you using? The one on the DM/MKII fire wire interface, or the onboard DM MIDI? Try using an alternate to determine if one is slower than the other.

5. Bail on USB/TMCode completely, and swap out to SMPTE (requires hardware investment).

CaptDan

Quick update, for me TMC on USB from Pro Tools to the DM would slowly get out of sync. So I ended up running the timecode out of Pro Tools to the DM on the DM's MIDI I/O port and it is in perfect sync now. Doesn't make any sense to me but now it is working.
But I was very surprised how bad the sync through the USB port was.

Speaking about layers, and you are in the remote layer in order to sync to your daw, how do you route your channels 25- and beyond? Once you click on a different layer on the DM don't you fall out of the remote stage?
I've gotten everything worked out using just the one layer but would like to add at least another 8 channels for audio (32) and and additional 16 for returns, is this possible?

Simple: don't use any tracks above #25. :) (rimshot)

If you've set up the USB5/6 in/outs on both the DM and DAW, you can scroll sideways all the way up to {say - Track #182) using the DM's BANK ARROW KEYS. Some DAWs like PT9/10 require that the DM's CONTROL KEY be used in combination with those bank keys.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, there's a 97% chance of 'O.E.' (Operator Error). :)

CaptDan

Simple: don't use any tracks above #25. :) (rimshot)

If you've set up the USB5/6 in/outs on both the DM and DAW, you can scroll sideways all the way up to {say - Track #182) using the DM's BANK ARROW KEYS. Some DAWs like PT9/10 require that the DM's CONTROL KEY be used in combination with those bank keys.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, there's a 97% chance of 'O.E.' (Operator Error). :)

CaptDan
Ah,ha! I never knew that, thanks!

New threads

Members online