remote layer

yes , mixing out of the box was an eye opener !!!!!

So everyone hears a difference when using the DM for summing instead of running a 2 bus from the DAW?
Before I went to PTHD I was using 16 stereo tracks out of Pro Tools into the DM and I swear it opened up the sound or for lack of a better term made the mix seem wider and had more of a 3D quality than a 2 bus from the DAW. When I mentioned it on this forum a few members informed me that I was crazy.
GravityJim mentioned that he liked the summing of the DM so I wanted to take a quick poll, can you hear a difference????

Yes. Especially at 32/96z.

Caveats And Warnings Dept:

My subjective conclusions are based upon comparisons between DAWs, past and present - as judged on my monitoring system and in my environment. Mileage may vary; workflow, and other considerations - environmental and technical - may lead others to different conclusions.

If it sounds good - it IS good.

CaptDan

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsire
My experience, I was mixing ITB , then 2 trck to DM, did a little experimenting, started routing more and more things through the DM, and was very surprised and satisfied, much more open . more wide, bigger stereo field . it has been a no brainer for me. But that is my humble opinion. and nothing more. : )

Absolutely. I can hear the difference between ITB and the DM3200, and I can for SURE hear the difference between the DM at 24 bits/96khz and my old Yamaha 02R at 16/44.1. Captdan is right... The DM's real sonic power opens up at the higher resolutions. (Since it's so easy to forget what one said once upon a time, I sure hope I wasn't one of the people who said you were nuts!)

Absolutely. I can hear the difference between ITB and the DM3200, and I can for SURE hear the difference between the DM at 24 bits/96khz and my old Yamaha 02R at 16/44.1. Captdan is right... The DM's real sonic power opens up at the higher resolutions. (Since it's so easy to forget what one said once upon a time, I sure hope I wasn't one of the people who said you were nuts!)

HAHAHA!
No, I'm pretty sure that was Jarno….hahaha
The last full length I did with the FireWire card was at 96k/24bit and I did believe that using the DM for summing was an improvement from ITB.
But now that I went HD I lost that ability! I can only do up to 48k from the Digi 192's to the Tascam TDIF connections. Funny thing is that the 192's will do SRC for TDIF on the way into Pro Tools but not on the way out. So I could record at 96k, but would have to mix ITB if I want to use my 192's at 96k. Which doesn't matter unless I want to do hardware inserts and have them be in sync…….hahaha

I'm going to setup my next mix today as 16 stereo outs and do an A/B.

I keep forgetting about this board and every time I pop back in I learn something new about this damn mixer!!

So everyone hears a difference when using the DM for summing instead of running a 2 bus from the DAW?

Yes, I have mentioned it before. Clear night and day difference to me. Sure wish the DM4800 had a respectable 64-ch ASIO driver to take better advantage of that...

Yes, I have mentioned it before. Clear night and day difference to me. Sure wish the DM4800 had a respectable 64-ch ASIO driver to take better advantage of that...

Like Yamaha, Presonos. Allen & Heath, SSL, Behringer, Mackie, AVID, etc. do.

Oh wait, none of these manufacturers have a 64 ch ASIO driver because the white paper on this spec hasn't been written yet, so the 64 ch standalone ASIO Based Digital Miver technology doesn't exist.

Oh wait, a guy that's stuck and satisfied with the limited status quo.

The ASIO 32-channel limitation in many digital mixers has NOTHING to do with a digital mixer specifically. Where do you get your misinformed info? There does't have to be some white paper for a digital interface product to offer a 64-ch ASIO driver. News flash fella, 64-ch and 128 ch and 256 ch and even 512 ch digital audio products have existed for several years now mostly used in the Broadcast business. 64-ch ASIO has already been around for over a decade and used for years in products that support MADI such RME & SSL to name a few.

Where do you get it in your head that just because the current crop of digital mixers that also have a limited 32-ch ASIO driver, that somehow means that Tascam should only do the same and not offer more?

Not that discussion again, sigh... AudioWave, you might wanna click 'edit' on that previous message and lower the tone a bit. Geesh what's happening with this forum...

Not that discussion again, sigh... AudioWave, you might wanna click 'edit' on that previous message and lower the tone a bit. Geesh what's happening with this forum...
I'll return here when I have an actual question.

Last edited:
The forum seems fine to me. Maybe it's because after repeated use of "that tone" (you know, the angry, from-the-lip Unassailable Expert thing), I just add those people to my short but effective Ignore list.

I was speaking more specifically to the lack of certain original messages and files (stickies, etc) existing from the post 2006 era. Many of those were lost after "Gen2" of the Tascam Forums suddenly derailed when the Admin passed. That threw the entire thing into turmoil and eventually, into going dark.

Just so nobody misunderstands, I'm not criticizing this website; at the same time, I can see how newbies might become confused because there aren't certain file links to explore, and message searching isn't very easy. It took me 20 minutes to find the threads I mentioned in another post, and I've been around here for awhile. :)

Still, it's a great place for anybody with a DM to interact if they wish to. Most any question is answered, or at least the attempt is made. That's something to respect.

CaptDan

Crap...now you all convinced me to try OTB again. Darn you all!! :)

Hybrid of ITB with OTB seems like the best of both worlds.
Choose to use the parts of each that sound the best.

I was a frequent poster on the old site.
Sure wish the files were still available.

Reactions: AudioWave
Say.....while y'all are all sharing and caring on here... :)
If you were using the DM 4800 as a stand alone mixer, and you're using the automation, how would the DM know where you are in a song? Or does it have to be linked to a recorder that has a timecode? Just wondering, 'cause I'm a newbie at this and my lack of knowledge knows no bounds.

There has to be something with a time component coming in, usually from a recorder. Can be SMPTE or MIDI time code.

"how would the DM know where you are in a song......[?]"

Next to 'where's the food? -' navigation is humankind's biggest challenge. In fact, one might be lead to conclude the latter is a direct function of the former. :)

The DMixers can lock to an external MTCode device, or - they can generate internal time code other devices in the system can slave to. Some DAWs - like Ptools 9/10/11 - require that the mixer send MTC when the DM's mix automation is being used. Other apps - like Cubase - are bi-directionally enabled in any scenario.

I suppose it's noteworthy that SMPTE and MTC are not the same time code flavor, and that the DMs can speak in both languages. I don't know about you, but that tends to suggest that these consoles are intended for professional application. After all, SMPTE is an old, venerable synchronization concept, developed by crotchety old geeks from the late 1950s. You know - black and white TV, film, 2" quad video tape, ginormous Ampex recorders - mixing consoles 6 blocks wide - crew cuts, pipes, Cardigans, and Father Knows Best. The old days. Before technology. In the dark ages when being an engineer meant knowing how to read schematics, rebuild circuit boards, assemble mixing consoles, and solder without danger of a three alarm fire.

But I digress. :)

CaptDan

Say.....while y'all are all sharing and caring on here... :)
If you were using the DM 4800 as a stand alone mixer, and you're using the automation, how would the DM know where you are in a song? Or does it have to be linked to a recorder that has a timecode? Just wondering, 'cause I'm a newbie at this and my lack of knowledge knows no bounds.

I use the DM's internal clock so even with no DAW or recorder attached the transport controls starts the time counter going - I've never tried it but assume that the automation would follow this.......... however, I have to ask what one would use automation for if nothing is playing?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.