SD Write Busy message

I have a Tascam DP-03 with cd player. Had for several years. recently started with the "wriute busy-power off" issue. I now save after every new input but it seems like a pain to have to do thta. also, lose when in Mixdown or Mastering and have to do again. Tried the above. is it possible to fix? anyone? and how come they don't make this product with cd burner installed? anyone know or is it just a money issue. miss having the cd player installed

Wakey, all I can say is that the the more data is on the disc overall the more likely it will become write busy. I cannot confirm that mere layering (creating long History) is enough to trigger write busy. My rule of thumb at moment is not to use more than 3/4 of an sd card. Frustrating.

Reactions: wakey48
I've found that, with my CD burner-equipped DP-03, 1. making a backup DATA CD of a song when it starts triggering the "write busy-power off" glitch, 2. erasing the original song from the SD card, and 3. reloading the song from the data CD helps. Whatever was causing the problem doesn't export to the backup CD. So far, this process has consistently allowed me to get through the Mixdown and Master processes without the "write busy-power off" crash. Might be worth trying.

Reactions: wakey48
Thanks
soccerdanofluv
and
TexasPicker.
I don't have that much data on this card since I
tried reformatting . also, newer. But it seems the songs that the message comes up with are layered with multiple instruments etc. although maybe occasionally comes up with just a few layers. anyway, what gets me thru is to save after each input so I don't lose anything except what I am doing when it comes up. how come can't get new one with cd changer.?

@rubyvoxx

Your solution worked for me! I found out that if you have too many tracks recorded within a track the SD Write Busy message will appear. This happened to me while bouncing tracks together. I've learned to bounce no more than 2 tracks together then clean out the unneeded track. It also helps to delete your record history and save all your changes constantly.

Hope this helps!

Thanks all. I try to remember to save song after each addition, that is critical.. problem when mixing but if saved don't lose everything. usually shutting off will help. Also,deleting layers when recording over an unwanted track or portion.

Post #19 speculated a fragmentation issue, but recent discussions on dp24/32 sd-card errors (posts #09 & #14), have evolved this theory into one of 'track' fragmentation, as opposed to 'file' fragmentation. This may be relevant to other dp models.

The problem only appears if there have been lots of re-takes and/or edits, so may not be relevant in all cases, but if the dp003, 6 & 8 etc. all use the same file structure, then this problem may be avoided/fixed by doing an export/import operation for each track every now & again.

If anyone's managed to peep inside the MTR partition somehow, I would be interested to know if tracks are stored the same way, i.e. as multiple fragments - these are the infamous 'zz' files visible on the dp24/32.

The dp24/32 thread refers to the 'Delete Unused' command. Ignore this as it's only relevant to later models for saving space on the card... it's the export/import functions which do the de-fragmenting, and these exist on all models.

I was bothered by similar things and contacted the support center. I was taught the solution! I was told not only the format with dp008ex but also the computer needs to format the SD card. It was said that if you do this work most SD cards will be solved! My SD card (Transcend TS32GSDHC10U1) I am using this. It stops freezing!
Perhaps it has already been resolved? :) I can hardly speak English so miss the wrong place.

I think a way to "defragment" a card is to backup all tracks from a card (let's call it card A) and restore those on a different, pristine card B. Then, card A can be reformatted by the device. stored aside and reused in a future defragmentation procedure (inverse the roles of A and B).

But it is indeed frustrating that Tascam does not want to put efforts in improving the quality of devices, and obviously prefers to sell new hardware. But to give a good impression, Tascam publishes a software update, and that's it.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.