SOLVED! Seeking AC adaptor GPE248-120200-Z or reputable substitute

Michael Loutris

From
North of Chicago
Gear owned
Tascam 2488 & Tascam DP-3
I purchased a used TascamDP-32SD but it came without the external power supply.
I checked the Tascam site and the most information I can find is that the original part was the GPE248-120200-Z with the following specs:
  • Input Voltage: AC 100-240V
  • Frequency: 50/60Hz
  • Output Voltage: ?
  • Output Current: ?
  1. I'm guessing the output voltage is 12 VDC, but I'd like to know for sure in case I need to buy a non-Tascam power adaptor.

2. I could not find the original part for sale, so if anyone knows a link to where they are currently sold, please share that.

3. If they are no longer produced, is anyone aware of any reputable/safe substitutes?

4. I found *many* claiming to be substitutes with prices starting under $10 U.S.
    However, I'm afraid of buying a cheap external power supply that may ruin my DP-32SD.
Thank you in advance!
-Mike

Last edited:
Try “google.com”. It’s pretty excellent.

A search of “Tascam DP-32SD power supply” yielded about 25,000 hits for compatible generics.
Or, if a factory original is crucial, perhaps add “factory original” or “OEM” or whatever to yr search.

You could also find the power specs/requirements in the manual. Also can be found online using google. Works pretty good…:geek:

FWIW: not that I’m any expert, but it’s pretty unlikely that a generic - even a cheep one - with the proper specs will ruin your unit…IF there's any problem with an aftermarket unit, it's more likely to be noise/ground problems.

Last edited:
"Try “google.com”. It’s pretty excellent. A search of “Tascam DP-32SD power supply” yielded about 25,000 hits for compatible generics."

Yes, as I mentioned in item 4, I found *many*, but the question is, are they safe to use?
Adding OEM does not reveal any OEM devices, which is why I asked if anyone was familiar with anybody that does see OEM AC adaptors for the DP-32SD.

"You could also find the power specs/requirements in the manual. Also can be found online using google. Works pretty good…"

The manual only lists the charger name, and the bulleted values I posted are all I could find by Googling.
If I missed something, please refer me to the correct page in the manual, as the only power supply reference I could find was on the top of page 72, section 16, 'Specifications General'.

"FWIW: not that I’m any expert, but it’s pretty unlikely that a generic - even a cheep one - with the proper specs will ruin your unit…you’re more likely to run into noise/ground problems."

I have enough experience with electronics to know that if the power supply were to short and deliver too much current, unlikely as that may be, it can definitely cause issues.
It's not only the specs that are a concern, but the quality of the device.
If there is an internal fuse on the DP-32SD, that would mitigate some of my concerns.

UPDATE:
I've looked at a few products claiming to be compatible with the GPE248-120200-Z, but the ones I've looked at so far either don't list the output voltage and current OR they've deliberately blurred those values so that they cannot be read.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have enough experience with electronics to know that if the power supply were to short and deliver too much current, unlikely as that may be, it can definitely cause issues.

Welcome to the Tascam Forums @Michael Loutris.

My suggestion is that (since you are in the USA) you email Sweetwater and ask them about an original Tascam power supply.

Reactions: Michael Loutris
All,

After searching the DP-32SD manual on-line, I confirmed that the specs for the output voltage and current are not given.
BUT ... I did find that the manual references the AC adaptor with a different name outside of the Specifications->General, which is TEAC PS-P1220E
I was able to locate the specs and the item still for sale as of Sept. 2023.
  • Input Voltage: AC 100-240V
  • Frequency: 50/60Hz
  • Output Voltage: 12V
  • Output Current: 2.0A
The link to the part is:
https://tascam.com/us/product/ps-p1220e/top

Last edited:
Since the back of the unit clearly shows the polarity, I would just go down to my local electronics shop and buy a 12v 2A power supply and the appropriate connector.

Reactions: Max Relic

New threads

Members online