Stereo Buss issues

darthfader93

Gear owned
dm 3200
Below is a description of the problem, as well as pictures and a video to help clarify what is going on.

Before I explain the problem, I would like to describe my set up. I am running a tascam dm 3200. I also have the if-fw dm mkii interface connected into slot 1 of the mixer. Using a 800 to 400 firewire cable, the interface is being fed into a Glyph external hard drive. The Glyph drive is then connected to my computer via firewire 400 to 400. My computer is a mid 2010 mac mini. The firmware for my if-fw/dm mkii is 1.10.

I have attached screenshots of my routing schemes below. I have M/L 1-16 routed into input ch 1-16. I have slot 1 channels 1-16 routed to ch 17-32. On the output slot section I have busses 1-16 routed to inputs 1-16 of the firewire card.

When I Play audio from my computer, the audio goes out of my computer, into inputs 1-2 of the firewire card, from the firewire card it goes into channels 17-18 of the mixer, and then ch 17-18 is routed to the master channel which then goes to the stereo buss. There is nothing sent to the auxes or busses.

Now Let me describe the problem I am having. When the dm 3200 clock is set to either 88.2k or 96k, audio plays fine. i proceed to test channels 1-48. raising the faders and assigning them to the stereo buss. audio still plays smoothly through channels 17-18. no other audio is coming through any channels. I proceed to test the auxes 1-8. raising the faders and assigning them to the stereo buss. still everything is running fine. Now when i get to the buss layer and test busses 1-16, I start to move up the faders one at a time. and randomly when raising or barely moving a fader the audio gets really distorted as if running it through a guitar amp with overdrive. This also happens if I move the master fader, not instantly, sometimes I have to move it up and down before it happens. This doesn't happen on any certain buss, just randomly sometimes a buss fader will cause it, sometimes it won't, but it always happens on one of them. Then after a few minutes sometimes after a few seconds the audio just cuts off. The audio is still playing on my computer, it's still playing on channels 17-18, and is also playing on the master channel. But there is no audio coming out of my monitors no matter how high I turn the control room knob up. I even connected my monitors to the 2 XLR stereo outs and it does the same thing. It doesn't play in the headphones either. I will also say that the audio levels are not changed in the board. The levels from the interface are the same, the levels on the master channel are ok, it's only distorted through the stereo buss. Also randomly after this incident happens, I start getting signal on channels 33-34 and 35-36. There is nothing routed to auxes 5-6 or 7-8 which are being sent to the fx sends and being returned to ch 33-34 and 35-36. There are no routings that would cause a feedback loop. I have no idea what could be causing this. And again, it only happens when the mixer clock is set to 88.2k or 96k. Below I have included some screenshots of my routing and clock screens. I also included a quick video demonstrating the problem. Please review this and let me know what you think it may be.

Thank,
Tyler Grissom

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0C4xXW4youETXJtVjdjU3gwSzA/view?usp=sharing

dm 3200 -  input routing 33-48.png

Attachments

• Dm 3200 - Clock.png
    Dm 3200 - Clock.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 73
  • dm 3200 - input routing 17-32.png
    dm 3200 - input routing 17-32.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 83
  • dm 3200 - input routing ch 1-16.png
    dm 3200 - input routing ch 1-16.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 85
  • dm 3200 - Output slot 1 - 1-8.png
    dm 3200 - Output slot 1 - 1-8.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 73
  • dm 3200 - output slot 1 - 9-16.png
    dm 3200 - output slot 1 - 9-16.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 78
  • dm 3200 - output slot 1 - 17-24.png
    dm 3200 - output slot 1 - 17-24.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 70
  • dm 3200 - output slot 1 - 25-32.png
    dm 3200 - output slot 1 - 25-32.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
@darthfader93 Hello Tyler. I am a novice at best, and wish I could help. Perhaps attaching your .tpi file might help someone more knowledgeable than I assist you in sorting out the issue that you are having. Just my two cents of course. Good luck. Peter

If it truly doesn't happen ever at the lower sample rates then I would suspect the issue is with the DSP board which connects to the main board. Looks like you have the mixer ready to open. Maybe try and remove the DSP board, blow out the slot and reseat the card. Maybe a mainboard issue as well...just a hunch don't take my word as a definitive diagnosis.

Couple other questions. Does the distortion happen on all outputs? CR monitors? Headphones? Studio out? Did you do a factory reset? Do a reset first before reseating DSP card. Damn peculiar....

Before starting to disassemble stuff, maybe a simple test: What happens if you connect the IF/FW-DM card directly to your computer i.s.o. via an external firewire HD? Maybe it has no bearing at all on the problem, but just to rule things out.

May have nothing to do with anything, but, I had many problems running audio with a Glyph drive on the same FW bus as the DM(drive speed tested much slower than it should have). I found that after I installed a USB3 card on my desktop mac and connected the Glyph via the USB3 bus all the grumbly audio problems went away. No way to add a card to a mini...so....

Hi guys i know its unrelated but pro tools is only records the dry signal from my dm 3200. Does anyone know how to fix this

You could try routing your inputs to the Busses and then route your busses to the inputs on the FW card, I assume that you are using an FW card(set Slot routing to Buss#, instead of M/L#). I use this buss routing method when I want to record with EQ and Compression on the DM-4800 to an ADAT hard disk. It will work just a well for recording to a DAW. If you are using the Dm's internal effects, just route those outputs to the same buss you are recording. To enable/disable the channel effects just turn them on or off on the channel module before you record. This makes recording wet or dry pretty simple.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thanks you very much for your reply, I will try that this evening. Does anyone know how to route dm to mix OTB using pro tools. I'd need a detailed description as I'm quite new to this and have basic routing knowledge

I've managed to get my recorded track to come back to the DM on the next layer, problem is now how do i record the wet signals back again

New threads

Members online

No members online now.