Stereo outs vs. effect sends

David Porter

Soundaholic
Gear owned
DP-32SD
Am I correct in thinking that I can just as well send a signal out the stereo out jacks to external effects and then back to an input - as I can using the effect sends? Of course, right?

Well, yes...but...you will be sending ~everything~ on the stereo bus out to your external effects box. Pay close attention to your input assigns, your internal effects, and your track faders.

Thanks Mark. I should have clarified. I'm wanting to send a final mix out through an external mastering processor (TC Electronic). Thanks for the reply.

Ok. That makes more sense:)

So, is your plan to:
* play your master on the DP using Master mode,
* send the signal via the stereo bus out to your external mastering processor,
* return the processed signal from the external unit to the DP via two of the DP inputs.

I'm not seeing how that last step would work in real time. The external processor would need to store the signal so you could get the DP back into multitrack mode, yes?

Experimentally - I thought I might try using the bounce function to mix back to a stereo pair - then sending that (in multitrack mode) out through finalizer and back in for some subtle mastering effect. It's a very simple mix that I'm working with.

Last edited:
If you have your final mix on a normal stereo track, then you can connect the finalizer as an external 'send effect', recording it's output to a spare stereo track. Less risk of feedback as you'd be using the send outputs.

Less risk of feedback as you'd be using the send outputs.

Thanks, Phil. But why is that? In my poorly crafted initial post - I also didn't mention that feedback was my primary concern. But looking at the block diagram - it's not entirely clear to me why there would be "less risk of feedback" when using the send outs.

Last edited:
David, it's probably a fine point as you would have to be careful either way, but my gut feel is that connecting the main stereo outs to the inputs is more risky.
All signals from the stereo bus will be fed back (as Mark pointed out), so it only needs a track fader to be nudged off zero and you'll get feedback... or if an input has been left assigned straight through to the stereo bus.
With the sends, the signals only get out if their individual send levels (and master send) are turned up, so to me it's more containable.
One thing which may force the decision though, is if your finalizer needs a high level signal to drive it... you may find the send outputs are not sufficient. Think this was discussed on another thread. In which case, you may need nerves of steel... good luck :)

Re output levels: the stereo bus and the send bus outputs have identical maximum/nominal level and impedance specifications.

Reactions: David Porter

New threads

Members online