Stereo Track source assignment

LeoB

Gear owned
DP32SD
Hello to you all. I am new to this Forum and certainly want to learn as much as possible from you guys. I have watched Phil Tippins videos, which already taught me a lot. Thank you Phil!

Here is a thing that bugs me..
I have my ES7 connected to source B and C. I selected teack 9/10 as my stereo input. For some reason o am not able to asign source B and C to this teack ( or any of the other stereo tracks), but can asign AA, AB. BB, CC, CD DD etc, but not BC.
What may I be doing wrong?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Leo

What he said (@Mark Richards ) - this is also specified on p.41 of the DP-32 manual.
It's not clear what unit you have. But I suspect the track/input-pairing limitations are common. B/C is not a valid pairing to assign to a stereo track.
If you MUST (for some bizarre reason involving routing issues, organizational needs, or live-chipmunk sacrifice) use those two inputs, perhaps you could route them each to individual mono trax, then bounce those two to a stereo track.

Thank you for your quick reply. Very helpful. Shredd

perhaps you could route them each to individual mono trax, then bounce those two to a stereo track

Or just rearrange the inputs.

Reactions: Mark Richards
It would be interestinh to know why it is this way. I will re-srrange the inputs. Thank you for the response!

FYI, my response (mentioned by Shredd) was a short shoot from the hip that it's how the firmware is programmed; but then I thought I had better confirm it and so quickly removed it. Shredd must have seen the post the short time it was up and jumped in. By the time I had confirmed, there was no point in my re-posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Not a problem at all, Mark. I have moved my inputs from B and C to C and D and all works out fine now. But here is another question that came up. Does it matter to which input a mic is connected? At the moment I have it conbected to Input A.

Reactions: shredd
It would be interestinh to know why it is this way. I will re-srrange the inputs
Hi @LeoB - have taken interest in this, mainly because I myself have lengthy experience w/2488's and my O/G DP-32 (which this forum category is dedicated to) - so I thought I could help. Normally I'm the guy who has to remember which way the pointy end of the guitar goes every time I sit down to play.:p
If you're smart, you'll listen to guys like @Mark Richards and @-mjk- and @Phil Tipping.:geek:

FIRST OFF: no, it doesn't matter which input your mic is attached to, as long as your specific model MTR has the right connector at that input (for example, the 2488's have some XLR's, and some 1/4" inputs) AND chosen input has +48V if your mic requires it. My DP has XLR's AND +48V at all inputs. You can, of course, assign input A to any mono track!

ANYway:
Mysterious as it is, the limitations on "pairings" of inputs you've experienced are clearly by design, as they're outlined in the O/M's. At least they addressed it - in recent years, Tascam O/M's are about as functional/worthy of existence as the US Congress. Considering how unhelpful they are (especially to beginners/novices) I imagine they're translated to English by the alcoholic janitor in between drunken binges, late on a Friday.
On the basis of other limitations I've experienced or seen here on the forums, I'd dare suggest these are limitations created by the processing power capacity of the units, or perhaps the limitations on the specific routing capabilities imposed by the internal electronics design capacity/limitations. It likely saved them cost and/or design requirements by not making the routing infinitely variable, but rather providing the unit/s with the capacity to use typical, utilitarian routings.

As if anyone would care - my routings on my DP-32's 8 ins are:
A & B: from L & R main outs of my mixer (all my instrument/mic sources run through)
C & D: from SUB1 & SUB2 of my mixer (for separate output while recording multiple sources)
E & F: I leave open, for times when I want to plug in mono or stereo sources directly to the DP (which I routinely do, for a variety of reasons)
G: normally open, "spare"
H: left open as much as possible, to be free for direct connection of a git'r for use of the DP's internal modeling/FX

In the realm of recording, many things are like that. For example, on the DP machines, stereo tracks are paired uneven/even numbers, i.e. 9/10 11/12. FWIW, my console is like that when linking channels. I cannot link 12 & 13 together. I can link 11/12 and 13/14, etc..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.