Still amazed with DP32sd

Findlay

Veteran
Gear owned
244 DP32
Just felt I had to post about how amazed I am with the DP32. A few years back I used it, in tandem with a DP-008EX, to record my own take of the entire Deja Vu CSN&Y album. A few months back I used it for a version of Abbey Road. I recorded almost everything on the DP-008EX again, apart from a few lead guitar parts, in keeping with the spirit of the original, but mixed it on the DP32sd. Very happy with the reverb - only problem was mixing The End, where the DP32 froze a few times on mixdown - maybe because of the complex mixing of the three guitar parts. Using the Sandisk Exteme Pro card. Would love to post some songs but scared because of copyright. If David Porter is still on this Forum, Thanks again for your help with the buying decision 4 years or so back!

SOOPERkewl. Both are fine units...I have an OG DP-32 and I love it so much it ousted the last of 3 2488-series that I had been using for over 15 years (I still think the 2488neo is the best P/Studio they ever made...).

RE - freezing: the usual suspect is incompatible or bad/corrupted SD cards, though it sound like you've got the right one. You may want to consider backing up your work, formatting it in the machine you want to use, and restoring.
Another thing to consider: the track-fragmentation thing (whereby the DP is keeping track of dozens - or more - "z" track fragment files to constitute a single track...this appears to strain the DP's processing capacity, and if you have lots of tracks with lots of fragments, this could also be a likely freezing cause. You might want to consider that 'track consolidation' process, perhaps at the end of tracking and before mixing? You can search the forum for "consolidation" - or start at this thread...

Meanwhile - I'd LOVE to hear those two album re-makes...though I suspect you're right: some bands (and I gather the Beatles are one of them) are ferociously defensive about copyrights, covers, yada...rumor has it Don Henley has an eyeball collection.

Reactions: Findlay
Hi Shredd, thanks for your comments and advice on this. I guess I could PM you a link to a download - would I get sued for this?

Reactions: shredd
@Findlay people put their mixes/versions of famous songs on YouTube and other sites (me included), regularly. You can use SoundCloud if you like. Usually, the publisher will allow the song to be posted but they will claim the income (if any) generated. Doing a cover version of a song is not stealing (and in fact, unless the cover version is demonstrably damaging (in a court of law)) then you cannot be stopped from doing a cover version of a published song. If you want to officially release it then you can make the money from your version by licensing the song. Distrokid handles licensing for cover songs.

This is @arjan p's SoundCloud channel.
This is a mix I did of a famous song, posted to SoundCloud.
This is a mix of another famous song I did, on YouTube.

Hi Shredd, thanks for your comments and advice on this. I guess I could PM you a link to a download - would I get sued for this?
Not likely… I’m not running for president and won’t use the recordings in public. But I’d love to check them out; by all means, PM. me a link!:geek:

Mr Findlay - so glad that you continue to be happy with your DP. I share your appreciation for these wonderful stand-alone portastudios. Tascam got it right with this line and we are the beneficiaries. I still love mine and use it as often as time permits. Early on it was unclear how durable and and reliable these would be over the long haul so, having the resources, I picked up not one but two backups. They continue to sit in their boxes as my original 2015 DP-32SD works like the day it was new.

While we're doing the appreciation thing... shout out to Phil Tipping who selflessly mapped out the full functions of these recorders and organized that into the creation of his excellent series of instructional youtube tutorials as well as his outstanding how-to guide - and equal shout out to MJK and Mark Richards who spent considerable time and effort to organize the support and how-to resources that is this very forum.

All of this put together... really is a remarkable resource. Kudos gentlemen!

I've often considered that the reason that this forum doesn't always get a lot of traffic is because the very efforts mentioned above allows users to come here, find the answer their looking for and.... voila.... their on there way. Someone's already done the homework and organized it for the rest of us. Thank you for that!

Last edited:
BTW - it's not hard to pay a modest fee for a certain amount of streams of whatever copyrighted material so you can stay in good favor with the copyright gods.

Maybe not entirely necessary - but I'm a bit of a dudley do-right that way and believe that artists should be compensated for their creativity. But I also get that Paul McCartney is not hurting.:)

Mr Findlay - so glad that you continue to be happy with your DP. I share your appreciation for these wonderful stand-alone portastudios. Tascam got it right with this line and we are the beneficiaries. I still love mine and use it as often as time permits. Early on it was unclear how durable and and reliable these would be over the long haul so, having the resources, I picked up not one but two backups. They continue to sit in their boxes as my original 2015 DP-32SD works like the day it was new.

While we're doing the appreciation thing... shout out to Phil Tipping who selflessly mapped out the full functions of these recorders and organized that into the creation of his excellent series of instructional youtube tutorials as well as his outstanding how-to guide - and equal shout out to MJK and Mark Richards who spent considerable time and effort to organize the support and how-to resources that is this very forum.

All of this put together... really is a remarkable resource. Kudos gentlemen!

I've often considered that the reason that this forum doesn't always get a lot of traffic is because the very efforts mentioned above allows users to come here, find the answer their looking for and.... voila.... their on there way. Someone's already done the homework and organized it for the rest of us. Thank you for that!

Great to hear from you David. Without your fabulous. advice I would never have bought this machine and would have missed a huge opportunity. Echo your thanks to Phil, MJK and Mark for their fantastic help and support too. Amazing folks, all of you.

Not likely… I’m not running for president and won’t use the recordings in public. But I’d love to check them out; by all means, PM. me a link!:geek:

Ok - how do I find your PM address? - a bit slow today! Maybe if I send AR first and DV later if you are not horrified...

Ok - how do I find your PM address
I’m no rocket surgeon - in fact, I’d qualify as the village idiot compared to some of the guyz here.

I think how you do PM’s here: up at the top of every page (when you’re logged in) is a little “letter” icon…click/tap that, & you get the option to “start new conversation”. Put my screen name in, write your message (it allows you to post links).

And don’t be shy - post the links to both albums. I’m not a snob…I actually have to remember which way the pointy end of the guitar goes every time I sit down to play.:oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Findlay
Ok - have tried to send a PM with links to WAV files for both albums. Hope you like some of it. Let me know if you get them?

@Findlay I'm also interested in hearing what you're doing, if that's ok.

Sure mjk, I would appreciate your thoughts. - I use We Transfer for large files - is is ok if I PM you with some links?

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.