Tascam 122 mk II

Patrick sinisgalli

Gear owned
122 mk II
Hey guys!

I was gifted this 122 mkII cassette deck by a professor and really want to get it working but don’t really know where to start. Everything seems to be working fine except for the fact that when I hit play the tape deck plays at Mach 10. When when I arm the tape it’s flying too. It’s like every button is fast forward. I don’t know if this a common issue but please let me know if it can be fixed!

Hi there - is there an authorized TASCAM/TEAC repair center near you? If not, you may want to find a reputable repair center for audio recorders. I hope you get it back in working order, those are great machines, I have one as well.

Your pinch roller is probably not engaged with the capstan, so the take-up reel just pulls the tape through as fast as it can. Push PLAY and then try to force the pinch roller arm upward toward the tape and capstan until the tape is literally pinched between roller (black rubber wheel) and the capstan shaft. Either the spring on the pinch roller is too loose, or the heads and pinch roller are not coming up when you push PLAY... probably the latter.

New threads

Staff online

Members online