Tascam 22-4 mrl tape iec or nab

markjazzbassist

From
New Orleans, LA
Gear owned
388, 3340S, RS-20, MX-80
I'm looking through the service manual for my 22-4 and it says at 15 IPS IEC, 7.5 NAB. But all the owners manuals and literature i find says 15 IPS is NAB as well.

Which MRL tape do i get, NAB or IEC EQ? What is correct? I will be only running at 15 IPS.

Mjb> 15 IPS is NAB as well.
Hi, markjazzbassist! Your choise between NAB or IEC depends on interchanging of your records with somebody. If you plan to play your records only on the same recorder which recorded them, then you can use any standard. As for my opinion, IEC is better on 15 IPS, but in american practice, I think, NAB is more generalized...

At Teac in Chicago we always used the MRL NAB tape for the deck that was specified. I think I still have the tapes here. The 22-4 was at the low end of the spectrum and has not real good meters- I have had them fail.

Thanks Sam. I got it for 100 dollars and everything works well and heads are in great condition, no problems with the meters, i'd rather roll with this since it was so cheap and get an MRL than spend 500+ on a 3440 or something and have to put repair work into it.

OK great NAB for both 7.5 IPS and 15 IPS. Now a potentially stupid question. Can i get one MRL tape that does both 7.5 and 15 IPS? if not no biggie i'd probably just do 7.5 as i like the low end on it better (bassist after all).

You can get away with the 7.5 IPS but the better performance is centered around the higher speed. All my test tapes are different reels for the different speeds.

New threads

Members online